Surviving Minnesota!

I have so many "freeloading" chickens it is disgusting. My 5 and 6 year olds some of which have not laid and egg in 2 years or more.

I keep thinking they will die peacefully in their sleep, but they just keep on plugging along. I would guess a 6 year old hen must be 102 in human years.

The WWD told me today we only have 2 chickens left in the freezer. I guess the nice Asian lady in St Paul will be short some roosters this year.

Jerry. I have a couple PC with their cute cushion combs that have a small row of bumps on each side like a rose comb but very very small. Maybe 3-4 bumps to the row and the size of a comma on here tall, very fine too. What would cause that and will that get them a disqualification if I show them? Nice birds otherwise.

I have found a bird is not happy when one spends 15 minutes using a fingernail file on their beak. Stupid bird developed a overbite in the last week or two.

I managed to hold my hand on Knucklehead for 2 minutes without him going ape-poop crazy on me. He responds will to treats.

Other than that, nothing new here...Unless you count recouping from another round of pneumonia, again.

Hello, haven't been on in a week or so.

Banty, Rubber horse feed bins work great for dux water...kind of.

I sure wish my SS was like yours @memphis . I have one, who is constantly pacing around and is scared of everything.

It's been raining here all day and last night. Had a 4-h meeting today. I'd like to cut down on birds for the winter but it probably wont happen. I have 5 2014's, 5 2015's, 3 2016's and 4 2017 chickens, then the 11 (soon to be 8) Big ducks and 2 Calls. *sigh* I need a barn. 4 coops is too many to manage...
Lot's of tomatoes and acorn squash here. Harvested bean seeds for next years planting this week. First time doing this, so still experimenting. :)
Why four coops? Can't you just stick them in one larger one?

Jerry. I have a couple PC with their cute cushion combs that have a small row of bumps on each side like a rose comb but very very small. Maybe 3-4 bumps to the row and the size of a comma on here tall, very fine too. What would cause that and will that get them a disqualification if I show them? Nice birds otherwise.
I noted the same on my favourite cockerel, except they're more en dash sized.

Hello, haven't been on in a week or so.

Banty, Rubber horse feed bins work great for dux water...kind of.

I sure wish my SS was like yours @memphis . I have one, who is constantly pacing around and is scared of everything.

It's been raining here all day and last night. Had a 4-h meeting today. I'd like to cut down on birds for the winter but it probably wont happen. I have 5 2014's, 5 2015's, 3 2016's and 4 2017 chickens, then the 11 (soon to be 8) Big ducks and 2 Calls. *sigh* I need a barn. 4 coops is too many to manage...
Lot's of tomatoes and acorn squash here. Harvested bean seeds for next years planting this week. First time doing this, so still experimenting. :)

I was just out in the cull/grow out pen with my young birds, the SS were right at my feet again. I am thinking a couple more times and the one will be jumping in my lap.

I have so many "freeloading" chickens it is disgusting. My 5 and 6 year olds some of which have not laid and egg in 2 years or more.

I keep thinking they will die peacefully in their sleep, but they just keep on plugging along. I would guess a 6 year old hen must be 102 in human years.
My oldest is almost nine and still plugging along.

Nope, they're visible from longer away than I like. His body structure (ignoring tail) is good enough for me to overlook it though, unless he develops more faults.

I think we are fine. I just read the SOP again.... Comb: Cushion-shaped-------rear free of point or points..

Says nothing about the front.

Back
Top Bottom