Surviving Minnesota!

BC I would try something like drops but I cannot get near this bird at all. I think her original owner spoiled her so much she won’t have anything to do with me.

Haven’t seen any bloody eggs yet but still eating the eggs from 2 weeks ago. I’ll have to skip some and check them out.

I have done 100% on eggs for 3 days running!

Everyone has been frozen..

I d not understand why Princess does not like you Erli. You always seemed ok and likeable enough to me......

She always seemed to like people when she lived here..... Of course, I did not spoil her by calling her "Princess"...

Is is a piece of something in her eye? I would either bring her inside and try drops in the eye or wait until it warms up enough to put them in her eye outside.

I don't think it got above zero here, but I was not glued to the temperature thingamajig from Menards...

Hobbles is looking rough, Knothead and Hobbles have been fighting. Hobbles has to learn a rooster with no feet should not fight....

We scrambled a bunch of eggs today for the girls, Shells and all. They were happy.

BC I would try something like drops but I cannot get near this bird at all. I think her original owner spoiled her so much she won’t have anything to do with me.

Haven’t seen any bloody eggs yet but still eating the eggs from 2 weeks ago. I’ll have to skip some and check them out.

Her original owner was a true chicken whisperer....Besides her spoiling ended when she laid the wrong color egg!

I think you could sell her to a certain VWNer that hangs out here some...She wants a good looking PC hen...They do not get much better looking than her.

As we look to spring..
1) When should I start keeping eggs to set under a hen?
2) How should I store them?
3) How many should I set? (Hoping. for. 4 more hens or some meat)
4) How long can they sit and still be. viable?

I'm certain these answers can all be found elsewhere on the site. But you folks haven't led me astray yet.

You will need to wait on a broody first and foremost. There is some thought that multiple eggs pressuring the breast can help trigger the hormones to be broody. So if you are wanting a mid April hatch you could try testing that theory with a nest ful of golf balls 3rd week of March or a bit before or leaving the eggs as a clutch . I like the golf ball idea as I like non trodden eggs or cracked and eaten or tempting a tendency for egg eaters.
But then I’ve had eggs crack on golf balls as they are laid as well. :idunno.

I also like eggs no older than a week. Hatch rate success starts dropping after a week old imho. Stored 50 degrees or so. Shifted twice a day. Louis L’Amour paperbacks are perfect for tilting the carton side to side.

I could get my silkie to cover about 5 standard eggs at a time. You could probably give her a clutch of 9-10 and have good coverage and tending. Broodies are amazing and enchanting. First time broody I’d give her a low number of eggs to try honestly. Until you know if she’s a good momma or not and until she gets the hang of it. Dixie was much better the 2nd and 3rd time.

I d not understand why Princess does not like you Erli. You always seemed ok and likeable enough to me......

She always seemed to like people when she lived here..... Of course, I did not spoil her by calling her "Princess"...

Is is a piece of something in her eye? I would either bring her inside and try drops in the eye or wait until it warms up enough to put them in her eye outside.

I don't think it got above zero here, but I was not glued to the temperature thingamajig from Menards...

Hobbles is looking rough, Knothead and Hobbles have been fighting. Hobbles has to learn a rooster with no feet should not fight....

We scrambled a bunch of eggs today for the girls, Shells and all. They were happy.

You turned her into a princess, that is how she got her name. :tongue
It’s the eye/lid itself, not something in her eye.
Since I can’t get near her I will have to grab her off the roost after dark.

Oh ah-ha Becky. Have you tried bribery on the deck?

Does look like that inner eyelid membrane thingy stuck. Maybe pecked?
Poor girl. Can you corner her or get her at night on the roost?

Back to work tomorrow. Kids have one more day of vacation. Lucky ducks.

My opinion, and I'm old so have lots of them... the males are in protection mode and think they need to keep watch over the flock so don't tuck their heads. The ones that do tuck heads are not top roo, or they're wimps :gig
I have actually found that is true with my own flock! The SFH and icelandic have no damage and my Chantecler and his son have a bit of damage and they are the alphas

Maybe her second eyelid is inflamed? or stuck to her eye?

So very sorry for everyones losses :hugs Terrible year for losses.

[QUOTE="I Love Layers, post: 19363779, member: 347067"
Since the dog doesn't use her dog house the cats have taken a liking to it

It may be that the cats wanted the dog house and kicked her out. I would build them their own... My dog will not go near the cat, the cat is in charge, :gig[/QUOTE]
The dog never goes in her dog house anyways she prefers to sleep right outside of it. She has a wooden frame that we put straw in for her and she loves it. When it snows she will be out there sleeping with her nose tucked under her paw and she is covered in snow. She is half Pyrenees so its not uncommon for them to choose outside over dog house

Stayed below 0 here too, and I didn't get any eggs. Some say that only daylight hours or lack thereof make hens quit laying---I say they're fools. Cold weather does too influence it.
Her original owner was a true chicken whisperer....Besides her spoiling ended when she laid the wrong color egg!

I think you could sell her to a certain VWNer that hangs out here some...She wants a good looking PC hen...They do not get much better looking than her.
She sure could!! I would make my own olive laying PC... it's not a flaw, it's a feature. Her pencilling is too perfect to relegate to pet status.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom