Surviving Minnesota!

Look what I found

66201E8C-E04C-4E28-A85A-2267BC8AA80C.jpeg

Morning. Hens do not get to free range. Went for dinner at in laws yesterday at 5:00. My rooster picked off by fox. Junior. I have no roosters. It’s a slaughter with this fox population.

F.

Rip Junior.
IMG_1084.JPG

DSC07259.JPG

Sadie found the carcass as soon as we were home. So it was interrupted. She trotted the yard in hyper circles. I knew something was up. Hen was doing predator call a bit. Then I saw feathers in front of coop. He was taken in the woods behind first. All hens intact but they will be cooped birds for a while until I get home for supervised free range.

I could still use an inch of rain. Had very little. Grass over the septic tank is already burnt.

I could use a good 24 hour soaker here.....(duxing the things MnChickMom is throwing at me for saying that). It is so dry. I tried to disc yesterday and it is like powder instead of soil.

Happy Mother's day (a day late). Convinced the husband to get me a couple ducklings for mother's day. He wants a pond anyway so this is an excuse for him I think. So two chocolate runner ducklings added to my chores. And Elizabeth the cat decided to go into labor last night, so far we're + 1 tiger baby. Waiting to see if she's got any more on the way.

IMG_3277.jpg
IMG_3281.jpg

Morning. Hens do not get to free range. Went for dinner at in laws yesterday at 5:00. My rooster picked off by fox. Junior. I have no roosters. It’s a slaughter with this fox population.

F.

Rip Junior.View attachment 1387482
View attachment 1387484

Sadie found the carcass as soon as we were home. So it was interrupted. She trotted the yard in hyper circles. I knew something was up. Hen was doing predator call a bit. Then I saw feathers in front of coop. He was taken in the woods behind first. All hens intact but they will be cooped birds for a while until I get home for supervised free range.

Oh Bummer!.. Sounds like Sadie might be earning her keep if she helps keep them away. Do you leave her outside when you leave?

Does she have an electronic fence?

We need to eliminate all FOX!!!! ( I know extreme but they are a pain in the butt)...

I am thinking a fox is what took Ed. We were outside with the dogs. I have seen that grey fox in my yard once. Ed was screaming so much and we had the dogs outside. I am wondering if Ed's screaming and my running that way (as fast as an old fat man with a bad back can run) told the dogs to investigate. I did not see where they were, but they roam that direction into the woods a lot.

Anyways, there is no reason for anything to let Ed go. Unless the dogs scared the fox and the size of Ed slowed him down then he dropped him fearing the dogs. :idunno

Ed is not himself, since his Zombifying event. He is standing hunched over and not as lively as he was. He could be injured. Ed is not one to allow me to pick him up and look him over. AND he has those 3 inch spurs to contend with.

Just guessing is all. Even Mnchickmom noticed Ed was standing like a sick or injured Ed, and she does not know him well.

Back
Top Bottom