Surviving Minnesota!

Sadie likes to be where we are. DH doesn’t think we should leave her out while we’re gone due to her deer running escapades.

She does like to follow our cars out the road too, but I think she’s getting better on that. I might just leave her out today. Screw it.

Morning. Hens do not get to free range. Went for dinner at in laws yesterday at 5:00. My rooster picked off by fox. Junior. I have no roosters. It’s a slaughter with this fox population.

F.

Rip Junior.View attachment 1387482
View attachment 1387484

Sadie found the carcass as soon as we were home. So it was interrupted. She trotted the yard in hyper circles. I knew something was up. Hen was doing predator call a bit. Then I saw feathers in front of coop. He was taken in the woods behind first. All hens intact but they will be cooped birds for a while until I get home for supervised free range.

So sorry BC.

The hens scratching in the woods I’m sure attracted him. They are noisey moving those leaves around.

Idk. We are found out though that’s for sure. Got plastic off the run. Extra nails in the hardware cloth. See what happens

Patsy my welsummer hen pacing and squawking. She wants her man or out or both.

Last edited:
Ralphie I don’t have electronic fence for her. But it’s coming to a head here on that I think. Just a bit of cash to get the whole property I think.

I’m sure that’s what got Ed too. The fox are putting a dent in the eagle food. That I’m certain of.

Morning. Hens do not get to free range. Went for dinner at in laws yesterday at 5:00. My rooster picked off by fox. Junior. I have no roosters. It’s a slaughter with this fox population.

F.

Rip Junior.View attachment 1387482
View attachment 1387484

Sadie found the carcass as soon as we were home. So it was interrupted. She trotted the yard in hyper circles. I knew something was up. Hen was doing predator call a bit. Then I saw feathers in front of coop. He was taken in the woods behind first. All hens intact but they will be cooped birds for a while until I get home for supervised free range.

I am so sorry to hear of Junior's passing. The Eagles are really taxing the eco system by us. Limited rabbits, mice, rats and small rodents. I really wish they would like skunks.

As for the rain, as long as people wish for selective locations for this rain, I will not throw a temper tantrum. Mayhew Lake Township and Graham Township do NOT need to be included in your wish lists. (Yet......)

I bought a cheap system from Menards. It did the job well enough to teach my dogs the boundaries here.

I might stumble across it in my shed. If you want to borrow it you could. You would need new wire is all. If it still works. I have laid the wire ontop the ground through wooded areas and it taught my dogs the line. I cannot say if a deer would make them overly excited so they break the containment or not.

We did have one dog break the containment and become stuck on the other side the fence, but that was when are kids were young and the dog wanted to be on the same side of the fence the kids were on.

At the auction on Saturday we picked up a lot of Amish made rugs and stuff like that.. We also got these... The "Wheat Tester" is an interesting machine... Had people try buy it as we left lol.

Also got these cool egg crates... They are pretty cool lol... Hoping rate on them is$30 a piece and we got them for $25 a piece... Still expensive but it was the whole set..

DSC_1397.JPG
DSC_1400.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you Ralphie. When we borrow stuff we gotta find a way to get it back. I need to re-assess all of that. But boy it would be nice. I'll look again.

edited to add: looks like some of the collars will short out when wet. Sadie likes to go swamping to cool herself after fetching. She'll immerse her whole body. There's some affordable systems. We'd have to do the wired one because property is not a circle for wireless. She naps alot of the time outside anyways...while we're gone. But she'd wake up to the pred call i'm sure.

Last edited:
Planted a lot of trees yesterday. Some Nanyberry, Plum, Choke cherry, Nankin Cherry and some Mountain Ash... No clue how any of those do here... They were given to us so we just planted them lol... I think we got 10-13 of each...

Back
Top Bottom