Surviving Minnesota!

Noticed a hen like this this morning. I had a couple of rubber eggs last week, and was gone over weekend. Is this prolapsed? What do we do now?

Attachments

• 20180514_132615.jpg
    20180514_132615.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 6
Planted a lot of trees yesterday. Some Nanyberry, Plum, Choke cherry, Nankin Cherry and some Mountain Ash... No clue how any of those do here... They were given to us so we just planted them lol... I think we got 10-13 of each...
Nannyberry will sucker profusely as will Choke cherry. All should be hardy and do well in your area.

Thank you Ralphie. When we borrow stuff we gotta find a way to get it back. I need to re-assess all of that. But boy it would be nice. I'll look again.

edited to add: looks like some of the collars will short out when wet. Sadie likes to go swamping to cool herself after fetching. She'll immerse her whole body. There's some affordable systems. We'd have to do the wired one because property is not a circle for wireless. She naps alot of the time outside anyways...while we're gone. But she'd wake up to the pred call i'm sure.

The collars we have do not short. I have used them in conjuntion with the Beeper box to get desired responses when I was training Pearl to bring DUX the proper direction and to get her to notice me when I point...She is not overly bright.

I checked Ed for bite marks, I did not see any, but he is very fluffy and hard to see much under the feathers. He is looking better but still seems off his game.

Holms How much was the fanning mill?

That is not a full size one is it?

Noticed a hen like this this morning. I had a couple of rubber eggs last week, and was gone over weekend. Is this prolapsed? What do we do now?

That looks more like an infection than a prolapse. A prolapse. or the ones I have had look more like a distended uterus in a cow. I have just pushed them back in held them in place for a while and with luck they stay in. Sitting there for 10 minutes with my thumb up a chickens butt can be kind of a conversation piece.

Morning. Hens do not get to free range. Went for dinner at in laws yesterday at 5:00. My rooster picked off by fox. Junior. I have no roosters. It’s a slaughter with this fox population.

F.

Rip Junior.View attachment 1387482
View attachment 1387484

Sadie found the carcass as soon as we were home. So it was interrupted. She trotted the yard in hyper circles. I knew something was up. Hen was doing predator call a bit. Then I saw feathers in front of coop. He was taken in the woods behind first. All hens intact but they will be cooped birds for a while until I get home for supervised free range.
Dang it BC. Stupid freaking foxes. :he:rant:mad::mad::mad::mad::he as Banty would say. .
KILL the beast!
Oh Bummer!.. Sounds like Sadie might be earning her keep if she helps keep them away. Do you leave her outside when you leave?

Does she have an electronic fence?

We need to eliminate all FOX!!!! ( I know extreme but they are a pain in the butt)...

I am thinking a fox is what took Ed. We were outside with the dogs. I have seen that grey fox in my yard once. Ed was screaming so much and we had the dogs outside. I am wondering if Ed's screaming and my running that way (as fast as an old fat man with a bad back can run) told the dogs to investigate. I did not see where they were, but they roam that direction into the woods a lot.

Anyways, there is no reason for anything to let Ed go. Unless the dogs scared the fox and the size of Ed slowed him down then he dropped him fearing the dogs. :idunno

Ed is not himself, since his Zombifying event. He is standing hunched over and not as lively as he was. He could be injured. Ed is not one to allow me to pick him up and look him over. AND he has those 3 inch spurs to contend with.

Just guessing is all. Even Mnchickmom noticed Ed was standing like a sick or injured Ed, and she does not know him well.
Poor zombie ed. You might have to try feeding him some brains and see if he gets better. . then you will know for sure he is a zombie.

That looks more like an infection than a prolapse. A prolapse. or the ones I have had look more like a distended uterus in a cow. I have just pushed them back in held them in place for a while and with luck they stay in. Sitting there for 10 minutes with my thumb up a chickens butt can be kind of a conversation piece.
After soccer practice I went out with the intention of sticking my thumb in s chicken butt. It was no longer hanging out, but she sure reeked. Ralphie was right once again.

Back
Top Bottom