Surviving Minnesota!

I am back!!
I had to go to Togo. The Saquatches were behind on their rent.

It was so great to be up there. I caught my legal limit of Sunnies almost everyday and ate the same. (well, our family did).

We had both kids and all the grandkids there for 5 days. The Sunnies were huge. Most were an inch or better of width across the back.

Northern and Walleyes were in short supply. Lots of raspberries but I did not pick one, the deer flies were not in short supply.

I have to test birds this morning then it is back to the campaign.
Sorry, I have not been here much. Life is way too busy this year.

Ralphie, good to read that you are still among us. Nice you finally got to enjoy some time with family at the cabin. The deer fly is a truly vile critter with a bite comparable to a mad dog.

Hi Minnesota people.

We have been working, boating when not working, and haying the lawn every six days with this heat and rain.

I think it’s difficult for me to get to l & m or fleet farm to get layena let alone source non GMO , organic feed. I wish you well on that. Eek . I will tell you that free range and some clean leftovers from your kitchen is a bonafide way to upscale feed. Along with Purina layer feed which my hens excel on they get our left over walleye, venison stews, the suckers and red horse my son speared this spring but forgot to smoke and was taking up valuable freezer space (ssshhh) ... etc etc.
I bought nutrena layer feed not long ago. Idk why I did... production did its summer dip about the same time but there’s something incomplete about that feed. Is it still bragging it’s vegetarian? I should look at the bag again.

Locally laid makes a fine mash that is non GMO corn mash but it is not organic. You can read their blog about why they chose that for their hens. Blue seal comes to mind as an upper end feed as well. Fresh Eggs Daily blogger amends her feed with natural additives for chicken health. She gives her recipe for it freely on her blog.

Last edited:
Hi Minnesota people.

We have been working, boating when not working, and haying the lawn every six days with this heat and rain.

I think it’s difficult for me to get to l & m or fleet farm to get layena let alone source non GMO , organic feed. I wish you well on that. Eek . I will tell you that free range and some clean leftovers from your kitchen is a bonafide way to upscale feed. Along with Purina layer feed which my hens excel on they get our left over walleye, venison stews, the suckers and red horse my son speared this spring but forgot to smoke and was taking up valuable freezer space (ssshhh) ... etc etc.
I bought nutrena layer feed not long ago. Idk why I did... production did its summer dip about the same time but there’s something incomplete about that feed. Is it still bragging it’s vegetarian? I should look at the bag again.

Locally laid makes a fine mash that is non GMO corn mash but it is not organic. You can read their blog about why they chose that for their hens. Blue seal comes to mind as an upper end feed as well. Fresh Eggs Daily blogger amends her feed with natural additives for chicken health.
Having worked for both Nutrena and Purina, I will say that I prefer to feed my chickens Purina and it's not close. Both are fine companies, but I align more strongly with the way Purina designs a product. I will leave it at that.

BYC did some level changes. It seems I am crowing and not heading to chicken wrangler extraordinaire any more...?

Jerry I did not see the ‘mater photo until I got on BYC. I think Janet will get your phone all figured out and show you how to text photos. Haha.

Still with 7 hens . Brooding bo cockerel and pullet and dom cockerel. Knock on wood Foxy Loxy has not hit us since mother’s day. We did d have a large hawk circling I’m sure the wood duck hen and her brood. Which happens to be in our chicken realm. We are thick with crows this year though and they are fun to watch hammering away chasing the aerial preds. I love crows!!!!

Having worked for both Nutrena and Purina, I will say that I prefer to feed my chickens Purina and it's not close. Both are fine companies, but I align more strongly with the way Purina designs a product. I will leave it at that.
Really?. . you can't just leave it at that. . I want juicy details :pop
(I buy nutrena :hmm)
But I'm only feeding filthy dux anyways :gig

Back
Top Bottom