Surviving Minnesota!

Holm cover your eyes-- and Ralphie I guarantee that nobody else is spoiling your roosters like I am.. So I am trying to get ready this morning and Roostie is just chirping his little heart out and trying to snuggle with James but James is to busy bouncing around so I pick Roostie up and he stops chirping I put him down and he starts back up again. Well I need to get breakfast going and dishes done grandkids will be waking up soon. So I put him on my chest and he snuggled himself in my cleavage,, so I figure ok if he is happy I can get stuff done. So after a bit I tried dipping his beak to get him to drink something and he wasn't happy, so back in the boobs he went.. So I was doing dishes and I took some water and put a couple drops on my skin by his face and he drank it.. ohh Lord I have a breast feeding chicken.. Hope this post wasn't inappropriate if it is it can be deleted because I don't need another warning...

Holm cover your eyes-- and Ralphie I guarantee that nobody else is spoiling your roosters like I am.. So I am trying to get ready this morning and Roostie is just chirping his little heart out and trying to snuggle with James but James is to busy bouncing around so I pick Roostie up and he stops chirping I put him down and he starts back up again. Well I need to get breakfast going and dishes done grandkids will be waking up soon. So I put him on my chest and he snuggled himself in my cleavage,, so I figure ok if he is happy I can get stuff done. So after a bit I tried dipping his beak to get him to drink something and he wasn't happy, so back in the boobs he went.. So I was doing dishes and I took some water and put a couple drops on my skin by his face and he drank it.. ohh Lord I have a breast feeding chicken.. Hope this post wasn't inappropriate if it is it can be deleted because I don't need another warning...

Judy nearly spit her coffee on this one!!

Oh dear... Well... Looks like your mama hen...

The other day I expressed my concern, in a very obscure non-political way, that the AI hysteria was manufactured and a way for someone to profit..

Look at the reimbursement rates on this for the large commercial producers:

USDA Issues Updates to Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Fall Plan

USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service sent this bulletin at 01/22/2016 02:30 PM EST

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today issued updates to its Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) Fall Plan. The updates include additional detail around reimbursement for any virus elimination activities and the results from an August 2015 industry survey on preparedness. APHIS has also finalized its vaccination policy, which was previously released as a draft policy. These updates will help APHIS, states, industry and producers to be even better prepared to address the HPAI virus if it returns this winter or spring.

In the original fall plan, released in September 2015, APHIS outlined its intent to use a flat rate reimbursement for virus elimination activities (cleaning, disinfecting) on infected properties. However, the details were still being finalized. The updated plan provides greater detail about how flat rate reimbursement will work. APHIS will provide a flat rate to the producer, based upon the type of facility and the number of birds in the flock. The flat rates are based upon averages and lessons learned during the spring outbreak. They cover the cost of barn preparation, dry cleaning and heat disinfection. The flat rates are:

• Turkey $3.55 / bird
  • Layer $6.45/ bird
  • Broiler $1.15 / bird (This is an estimate based on industry averages because no broiler flocks were affected in the previous outbreak)

The producer will be able to use the funds provided to do the work themselves or to hire an outside contractor. They can also use the flat rate money to help fund alternate effective virus elimination methods after consultation with APHIS representatives.

The survey on industry preparedness was in progress when the original version of the plan was published, so APHIS is including the results in today’s update. The survey found that the poultry industry has made important efforts in implementing preparedness and response capabilities for future HPAI cases. However, APHIS is recommending some additional actions, such as increasing the use of premises IDs and having these entered in APHIS’ emergency database, which would greatly facilitate response activities.

The original fall plan included a draft vaccination policy, which has since been updated and finalized over the past several months to clarify a few points. The policy updates include:
  • Clarifying that while USDA will cover the cost of purchasing vaccine, it will not incur the costs associated with administering the vaccine.
  • Clarifying that should USDA decide to vaccinate, there may be justification for not vaccinating certain commercial subpopulations within an area, such as short-lived birds (broilers, ducks) or primary breeders that are under high biosecurity or compartmentalization
  • Clarifying that surveillance testing for layer flocks would be through serological testing of vaccinates and dead bird surveillance using rRT-PCR followed by confirmatory testing at NVSL.

The changes APHIS made to the HPAI fall plan are important and support continued preparation for any future HPAI outbreak that might occur. The current version of the plan is available at the top of our Avian Influenza Web page.

The other day I expressed my concern, in a very obscure non-political way, that the AI hysteria was manufactured and a way for someone to profit.. Look at the reimbursement rates on this for the large commercial producers:

USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service sent this bulletin at 01/22/2016 02:30 PM EST

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today issued updates to its Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) Fall Plan. The updates include additional detail around reimbursement for any virus elimination activities and the results from an August 2015 industry survey on preparedness. APHIS has also finalized its vaccination policy, which was previously released as a draft policy. These updates will help APHIS, states, industry and producers to be even better prepared to address the HPAI virus if it returns this winter or spring.

In the original fall plan, released in September 2015, APHIS outlined its intent to use a flat rate reimbursement for virus elimination activities (cleaning, disinfecting) on infected properties. However, the details were still being finalized. The updated plan provides greater detail about how flat rate reimbursement will work. APHIS will provide a flat rate to the producer, based upon the type of facility and the number of birds in the flock. The flat rates are based upon averages and lessons learned during the spring outbreak. They cover the cost of barn preparation, dry cleaning and heat disinfection. The flat rates are:

• Turkey $3.55 / bird
  • Layer $6.45/ bird
  • Broiler $1.15 / bird (This is an estimate based on industry averages because no broiler flocks were affected in the previous outbreak)

The producer will be able to use the funds provided to do the work themselves or to hire an outside contractor. They can also use the flat rate money to help fund alternate effective virus elimination methods after consultation with APHIS representatives.

The survey on industry preparedness was in progress when the original version of the plan was published, so APHIS is including the results in today’s update. The survey found that the poultry industry has made important efforts in implementing preparedness and response capabilities for future HPAI cases. However, APHIS is recommending some additional actions, such as increasing the use of premises IDs and having these entered in APHIS’ emergency database, which would greatly facilitate response activities.
[COLOR=000000]
[/COLOR]
The original fall plan included a draft vaccination policy, which has since been updated and finalized over the past several months to clarify a few points. The policy updates include:
  • Clarifying that while USDA will cover the cost of purchasing vaccine, it will not incur the costs associated with administering the vaccine.
  • Clarifying that should USDA decide to vaccinate, there may be justification for not vaccinating certain commercial subpopulations within an area, such as short-lived birds (broilers, ducks) or primary breeders that are under high biosecurity or compartmentalization
  • Clarifying that surveillance testing for layer flocks would be through serological testing of vaccinates and dead bird surveillance using rRT-PCR followed by confirmatory testing at NVSL.

The changes APHIS made to the HPAI fall plan are important and support continued preparation for any future HPAI outbreak that might occur. The current version of the plan is available at the top of our [COLOR=0059B3][COLOR=0000FF]Avian Influenza Web page
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/port...on/sa_avian_health/ct_avian_influenza_disease[/COLOR].[/COLOR]

So they get paid even if they get AI and lose the whole flock!!?? That must be why the big guys arent taking measure to prevent it... It looks like they get more dead than they do alive and going to slaughter.

If I read that correctly:

if you have a coop with 10,000 turkeys, you will get $35,000 from my tax dollars to fight AI. So when your coop is empty, you clean and disinfect and get $35K!!! Don't they clean and disinfect between each class? So we are paying them to do something they always do!

Worse yet the layers one $64,500 to clean a coop. If you are cage free, it is just a big warehouse, If I was an egg producer I would kill my birds for that, selling them to a meat processor. Buying them back at around 75 cents each. ( quantity discount could be even less)

Or broilers (cx) production, between classes you disinfect and get paid $11,500 to do what you always do. 6 weeks later you do it again and your birds are less than free!

What a scam..

I hope this does not seem to political, but this ticks me off! But I want my $3,225 for disinfecting my layer operation!

I don't think a broiler raiser is going to get rich on a $1.15 a bird payment for flock destruction when you consider the cost of the chick and expenses to feed and heat the shed etc plus the fact that the shed will remain inoperable for so many weeks while the virus is killed.

That said, that is a payment from the government and may or may not mean they get an insurance payment on top of that

Back
Top Bottom