Surviving Minnesota!

Rhetts, that looks like a very small calf, but I have no experience with Highlands.
Ralphie, that video clip sure looks to be Bogtown, and I don't know of anyone else who would do such a thing.

It is disheartening to lose chicks, but they will for many reasons not all survive. If they are very weak or deformed at hatch the best thing is to end their suffering. I know it is not an easy thing to do, but it is for the best.

We estimate the calf is about 18 inches from the front shoulder down to the hoof. Yes, very small.

Mom and baby are beautiful, what is the moms name?

Thank you. Mom's name is Norma Jean.

Oh shoot. I don't know how else to do that link thing. I'll look at it again. He's sort of spoiled. He's been ignored quite a bit during Basketball season.
roll.png

Chlorinated water may not be a good thing. I know when I had fish in School at Duluth I had to do special drops to get the water chemically correct...I'm thinking that might be something there Ralphie.
Coffee...I take it you're not out at the farm yet...?

Oh shoot. I don't know how else to do that link thing. I'll look at it again. He's sort of spoiled. He's been ignored quite a bit during Basketball season.
roll.png

Chlorinated water may not be a good thing. I know when I had fish in School at Duluth I had to do special drops to get the water chemically correct...I'm thinking that might be something there Ralphie.
Coffee...I take it you're not out at the farm yet...?

Many years ago A friend who is a hydrologist told me to leave the city water in an uncovered container on the counter for 24-hours and all the chemicals will evaporate from it. I have been doing this for over 40 years and never had a problem. I do it with our well water now but I don't know if that makes a difference. It worked well when the kids had their gold fish, etc.

Many years ago A friend who is a hydrologist told me to leave the city water in an uncovered container on the counter for 24-hours and all the chemicals will evaporate from it. I have been doing this for over 40 years and never had a problem. I do it with our well water now but I don't know if that makes a difference. It worked well when the kids had their gold fish, etc.

You are correct, the chorine/chloramine will off gas. I don't know if any fluoride additions would dissipate or not though.

Quote: The corny thing about SC is that there is just something about her . . . . her bright eyes, her chirping, her tenacity. As I said before, if I lay the chick feed on the bottom of the brooder she is able to eat it. And since she has pooped a couple time while I am giving her water I know that internally she is working. Its just the physically challenging stuff. She is getting around a little more and seems to be putting some weight on. Not holding that head up at all yet - I will keep on. I do not think, for this moment, she will ever be able to be incorporated into the main flock. She would be too vulnerable. Yet, its all in the learning curve. We will have to have a party for sure if she turns out okay. I am ready to graduate those little boys that keep her company to a larger brooder situation and add day old chicks to be with her. Those boys are kinda wild and excitable. Not so very good for her. Ralphie - I will PAY for a new little hen when you have one. Just need one for her when it comes around.

Ok I stopped with the fruits and vegs, I also stopped giving tap water and I'm using my water filter system, I was also thinking it might be my water softener water. I turned the electric heater down and away from the pen. Fingers xx'ed the rest will be fine. On another note my strawberry laid that double yoker couple days ago THEN didn't lay for 2 days ,, I don't blam her,, Today she laid another whopper ,, hope she doesn't hurt herself making this a habit.. Her is her egg again today..

We had an unbelievable night!! My highland, Norma Jean, the white ish colored one, had her calf!!!!! WHAT!!! I know!!!

DH woke me at 1:30am to tell me there was a cow bellowing. I looked outside and saw the calf standing there. Mom was a wreck pacing back and forth bellowing. We got out there and the calf was then tucked up into the fence line (sheep fence) and under the electric tape sitting in the snow. It was raining out and the calf was soaking wet. Mom was just all over the place pacing, yelling, looking at the calf and bellowing. We tried drying the calf outside but it was raining and windy and mom had taken off so we took the calf inside to get it good and dry. We had called the BILs and they came over to help. They built a stall in the barn where the herefords are. After calf was dried off we took it outside to the stall. Mom went in practically on her own. Did not expect that to happen!! Thanks goodness!! For a long time Mom was just upset and just restless and back and forth. She hit the calf a few times and knocked it around pretty good. The calf is a determined little thing. She just kept right at going for teats. After the afterbirth came and Mom was licking that, it was like something clicked with her and she starting licking the calf. She let it nurse and she was licking it!! Super happy to see that! She now follows the calf everywhere in the stall and sits right next to it every time. She is still a bit rammy (SP or not a word?) but I think with some time she will settle in.

Heifer calf born from mini bull and a almost 2 year old highland. My first calf!!

She is tiny!!!

We had an unbelievable night!! My highland, Norma Jean, the white ish colored one, had her calf!!!!! WHAT!!! I know!!!

DH woke me at 1:30am to tell me there was a cow bellowing. I looked outside and saw the calf standing there. Mom was a wreck pacing back and forth bellowing. We got out there and the calf was then tucked up into the fence line (sheep fence) and under the electric tape sitting in the snow. It was raining out and the calf was soaking wet. Mom was just all over the place pacing, yelling, looking at the calf and bellowing. We tried drying the calf outside but it was raining and windy and mom had taken off so we took the calf inside to get it good and dry. We had called the BILs and they came over to help. They built a stall in the barn where the herefords are. After calf was dried off we took it outside to the stall. Mom went in practically on her own. Did not expect that to happen!! Thanks goodness!! For a long time Mom was just upset and just restless and back and forth. She hit the calf a few times and knocked it around pretty good. The calf is a determined little thing. She just kept right at going for teats. After the afterbirth came and Mom was licking that, it was like something clicked with her and she starting licking the calf. She let it nurse and she was licking it!! Super happy to see that! She now follows the calf everywhere in the stall and sits right next to it every time. She is still a bit rammy (SP or not a word?) but I think with some time she will settle in.

Heifer calf born from mini bull and a almost 2 year old highland. My first calf!!

She is tiny!!!

SO very cool. Thank you for sharing right away. I am glad that MaMa is accepting the baby and taking good care of it.

We had an unbelievable night!! My highland, Norma Jean, the white ish colored one, had her calf!!!!! WHAT!!! I know!!! DH woke me at 1:30am to tell me there was a cow bellowing. I looked outside and saw the calf standing there. Mom was a wreck pacing back and forth bellowing. We got out there and the calf was then tucked up into the fence line (sheep fence) and under the electric tape sitting in the snow. It was raining out and the calf was soaking wet. Mom was just all over the place pacing, yelling, looking at the calf and bellowing. We tried drying the calf outside but it was raining and windy and mom had taken off so we took the calf inside to get it good and dry. We had called the BILs and they came over to help. They built a stall in the barn where the herefords are. After calf was dried off we took it outside to the stall. Mom went in practically on her own. Did not expect that to happen!! Thanks goodness!! For a long time Mom was just upset and just restless and back and forth. She hit the calf a few times and knocked it around pretty good. The calf is a determined little thing. She just kept right at going for teats. After the afterbirth came and Mom was licking that, it was like something clicked with her and she starting licking the calf. She let it nurse and she was licking it!! Super happy to see that! She now follows the calf everywhere in the stall and sits right next to it every time. She is still a bit rammy (SP or not a word?) but I think with some time she will settle in. Heifer calf born from mini bull and a almost 2 year old highland. My first calf!! She is tiny!!!
If daddy was a 'mini bull' is that why it is a small calf?

If daddy was a 'mini bull' is that why it is a small calf?

Yeah, mini bull, her first calf, and she is a young heifer all are reasons for small calf (or so I have read on line). The bull, as DH can recall, was any where from 38-44 inches tall, about 1000lbs guesstimating. He saw it in November when he picked up Norma Jean.

Yeah, mini bull, her first calf, and she is a young heifer all are reasons for small calf (or so I have read on line).  The bull, as DH can recall, was any where from 38-44 inches tall, about 1000lbs guesstimating.  He saw it in November when he picked up Norma Jean.  

Was it like a lowline or a Dexter? I've heard it is popular to breed first time mothered to them so the first baby is small

Back
Top Bottom