Surviving Minnesota!

We had an unbelievable night!! My highland, Norma Jean, the white ish colored one, had her calf!!!!! WHAT!!! I know!!!

DH woke me at 1:30am to tell me there was a cow bellowing. I looked outside and saw the calf standing there. Mom was a wreck pacing back and forth bellowing. We got out there and the calf was then tucked up into the fence line (sheep fence) and under the electric tape sitting in the snow. It was raining out and the calf was soaking wet. Mom was just all over the place pacing, yelling, looking at the calf and bellowing. We tried drying the calf outside but it was raining and windy and mom had taken off so we took the calf inside to get it good and dry. We had called the BILs and they came over to help. They built a stall in the barn where the herefords are. After calf was dried off we took it outside to the stall. Mom went in practically on her own. Did not expect that to happen!! Thanks goodness!! For a long time Mom was just upset and just restless and back and forth. She hit the calf a few times and knocked it around pretty good. The calf is a determined little thing. She just kept right at going for teats. After the afterbirth came and Mom was licking that, it was like something clicked with her and she starting licking the calf. She let it nurse and she was licking it!! Super happy to see that! She now follows the calf everywhere in the stall and sits right next to it every time. She is still a bit rammy (SP or not a word?) but I think with some time she will settle in.

Heifer calf born from mini bull and a almost 2 year old highland. My first calf!!

She is tiny!!!

We had an unbelievable night!! My highland, Norma Jean, the white ish colored one, had her calf!!!!! WHAT!!! I know!!!

DH woke me at 1:30am to tell me there was a cow bellowing. I looked outside and saw the calf standing there. Mom was a wreck pacing back and forth bellowing. We got out there and the calf was then tucked up into the fence line (sheep fence) and under the electric tape sitting in the snow. It was raining out and the calf was soaking wet. Mom was just all over the place pacing, yelling, looking at the calf and bellowing. We tried drying the calf outside but it was raining and windy and mom had taken off so we took the calf inside to get it good and dry. We had called the BILs and they came over to help. They built a stall in the barn where the herefords are. After calf was dried off we took it outside to the stall. Mom went in practically on her own. Did not expect that to happen!! Thanks goodness!! For a long time Mom was just upset and just restless and back and forth. She hit the calf a few times and knocked it around pretty good. The calf is a determined little thing. She just kept right at going for teats. After the afterbirth came and Mom was licking that, it was like something clicked with her and she starting licking the calf. She let it nurse and she was licking it!! Super happy to see that! She now follows the calf everywhere in the stall and sits right next to it every time. She is still a bit rammy (SP or not a word?) but I think with some time she will settle in.

Heifer calf born from mini bull and a almost 2 year old highland. My first calf!!

She is tiny!!!

Grats!!

Wow, that was fast. I want to point out, I was the one that said she would not make it to June!

LOL.. That is the way it is suppose to go, they bag up get large butts and drop a calf.

That is the cutest little girl I have seen. I want one of them... I dare not mention this to Judy while she is at the witches coven or I will grow warts or something.
I am jealous of you Rhetts!

Yeah I noticed her bag on Thursday and a calf comes Friday night. Pretty fast. I was looking her over last night at chore time too and didn't notice her acting any differently. Did not think a calf was coming a mere hours later. Not expecting it for sure!

Yes, you were right Ralphie she didn't make June! LOL!

Ralph I looked at those pics . I would be suspicious of that male chick . If it is not a cross then something popped up from way back . Too much buff on the back . White breast is totally wrong . Myself I suspect a Ethiopian in the fuel supply .

Oh my Rhetts. I am so jealous of your 1:30 wake up call. And I don't usually get jealous about that!!! Lol. That calf is miraculous and gorgeous and what luck that you heard momma asking for help. Lucky calf lucky you. Love it. Have you thought of a name for this beauty?

Oh my Rhetts. I am so jealous of your 1:30 wake up call. And I don't usually get jealous about that!!! Lol. That calf is miraculous and gorgeous and what luck that you heard momma asking for help. Lucky calf lucky you. Love it. Have you thought of a name for this beauty?

Thank you!!

I am wanting to name her something with meaning She was so determined to live, persistent with mom, and over all had spunk and life in her. BILs said that she is the best calf they have seen as far as up and at em and try to get her milk. They are impressed with her. So I want a name that is true of her personality.

Rhetts, that looks like a very small calf, but I have no experience with Highlands.
Ralphie, that video clip sure looks to be Bogtown, and I don't know of anyone else who would do such a thing.

It is disheartening to lose chicks, but they will for many reasons not all survive. If they are very weak or deformed at hatch the best thing is to end their suffering. I know it is not an easy thing to do, but it is for the best.

Back
Top Bottom