Surviving Minnesota!

Quote: I also had to get mine at target online, then I went back to buy another for a back up...

Do you do anything to prevent your girls from contacting this heater (I would imagine it gets pretty hot)? I have considered using a flat panel like this, but my coop isn't really set up for it. We live in a semi-urban area with a local chicken limit, so we have a very small operation. The coop is 16 sq feet (which seems fine for our three girls), and I don't know what I could do to keep the heater away from them.
At 150 watts I can put my hand on it still. It is hot but not burn your skin hot. I have mine up high but I think a person should mount it lower to the floor and let the heat rise. I just don't have a spot lower that will accommodate it and not have it get pooped on either. A smallish coop might have trouble accommodating it. there are also smaller sized kennel heating pads I think and seeding mats (Cluckies has those here and there in her coop I believe.) They give out little bits of radiant heat like this. She didn't think they did anything she said but she saw her birds turn towards it on a colder night and so now she thinks they get a bit out of it.

If you do reflectix do just bits at a time. I think Cluckies said her girls were afraid to go in the coop after she applied it. I did 1/2 my coop one day and a week or two later the other half. The birds did fine with it. I didn't realize my procrastination may have saved my birds from a major freak out. LOL.
I agree, it is hot, but not burning, I have mine in a 4x6 coop, hanging on the wall.

because it is a small area, it can be higher I think. Yes, you can see the seedling mat in the back of the girls. I keep that one on most of the winter as it seems to take moisture out of the air. the flat panel I only turn on when it goes below 10, or zero, depending... the other day it was -22.5 outside and 5 in the henhouse.

Quote: me too! beautiful!

One book I read advised against using only electric wire for pigs because if they get shocked they will run ahead (and through the fence) instead of turning around. Can you confirm or deny this?

I think it also talked about training them to the fence first, or maybe that was my other book? It said to line a rigid fence with wire so the can get shocked but not run through it and then will learn to just stay away

I will deny it. I never saw that happen the entire time we were kids either. Dad used electric fence all the time. I would assume you could chase them through the fence, but they would never do it on their own.

fl.gif
Cyrus. I hope you get it! Good luck.

I will deny it. I never saw that happen the entire time we were kids either. Dad used electric fence all the time. I would assume you could chase them through the fence, but they would never do it on their own.
Every time I would see a hog get zapped they jump but not forward always away from the line. We had hogs growing up too. Only time they got out is when the electric wasn't working.

Back
Top Bottom