Surviving Minnesota!

Ladysmith, Wisconsin here. I have a few young serama that will be culled soon. Anyone interested in serama? These are three week old chicks right now. Show some potential. In a week I will be culling the flock.

Last night while the flakes fell softly on my little log coop. Fiona the Cream legbar fell from the roost I had placed her on. Crawling into the nest box before was not a good sign and I knew almost for sure I'd find her on the coop floor. I'm sad but realistically she was another breed I had determined not what I wanted.

I'm not sure what happened. She had ACV in her water almost always. She had intestinal sloughing almost constantly. I had wormed her at her arrival and this fall. But a few months back her pretty whitish blue ears turned a yellowish color ( liver symptoms?) and in true chicken form she was spry until yesterday when I found her in the nest box.

No diamond encrusted eggs. And time to move on.

Rip little Fi.

Last edited:
Last night while the flakes fell softly on my little log coop. Fiona the Cream legbar fell from the roost I had placed her on. Crawling into the nest box before was not a good sign and I knew almost for sure I'd find her on the coop floor. I'm sad but realistically she was another breed I had determined not what I wanted.

I'm not sure what happened. She had ACV in her water almost always. She had intestinal sloughing almost constantly. I had wormed her at her arrival and this fall. But a few months back her pretty whitish blue ears turned a yellowish color ( liver symptoms?) and in true chicken form she was spry until yesterday when I found her in the nest box.

No diamond encrusted eggs. And time to move on.

Rip little Fi.

Sorry for your loss :( never a fun thing to deal with.

RIP Fi!

About time you spilled the beans Coffee!!!

Whew, that was a rough one for me......Having to not say something is hard on me!

BC Sorry to hear your Creamette did not make it. Now I a worried about Blackie as he was in the nest box last night and a looked a little under the weather. I am thinking Creamettes might be a southern bird. They just do not have the body mass and the "toughness" we seem to need up here. There combs seem to catch H_e double hockey sticks in a very severe way.

I am moving my Creamettes as soon as the weather warms some, and I am going to split them up. I am going to put 3 hens and a roo in one breeding pen and 4 in another with a roo. One of the roos I am using is going to the frying pan and I am changing to his brother. I am not liking his looks as much as I thought I did. I kept a spare roo just for changing them out. I am seriously thinking of selling all the creamettes this spring. They just did not live up to the hype for me.

I am really thinking I might need to expand my toads. With another generation I hope to have their life expectancy longer. I have found the "toad" Bertha is a great layer and the cold does not seem to affect her at all. I do worry about the heat though. They are so huge, they might make a true dual purpose bird for me.

As I look at the picture of your creamettes BC, I do have to admit they are eye candy!

Cyrus that is so kind of you to take a minnow for a swim. I hope they enjoy their swim time.

My sprouts system is working pretty well. It is really dry in my basement (35% this AM) so I hope that doesn't affect the sprouts. I plan on enclosing the edges of the space this weekend to help retain heat and moisture. There is an air vent that goes over the top of the stand that I will tap into for heat

Wow what a whirl wind of goings on here.

Coffee I ditto what everyone said. Congrats and prayers dearie!!

Bogtown sorry to hear of Fi. I just hate loosing birds! And Sadie! What a good momma you are!

Welcome back to the chicken soap operas Aussie!

No calf yet...................but my goodness we figure today or tomorrow. Her teats are very long now, her backside is ginormous, and she is acting odd but not in a bad way. The tail bone and hip area have most certainly changed. I will try to get some pictures of her today. I have to wait for someone to come over to help me go out to the pasture.

Have a great day all!!

Oh and I have 9 degrees above 0!! I am doing a dance of excitement. Hope the hens get out side and stretch some before the next round of cold comes.

Coffee, good to have you back here! Congratulations!! and sorry to hear of the cancer, keep your spirits up :)

Back
Top Bottom