Suspicious Predator

Generally but I have seen multiple times where ID of predator was positive and chicken was being consumed starting at a location that deviates from what is expected to "be normal". Positive by chicken still warm when predator displaced from eating it.

Do you have opossums in your area. Opossums are known to eat the bowels and intestines first. While normally nocturnal, I have seen opossums, coyotes, skunks, and raccoons during the daytime.

Here is a list of predators that could have possibly been the culprit depending on what is native in your area.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

Raptor / hawk.

Both of these gentlemen make good points, and to be fair to both, the evidence is less than clear which varmint is to blame. I would like to use the third path and suggest a mink, mostly because of the cattails.

If raptor and you left carcass out, bird would more likely than not return to continue consumption. The way the carcass was nawed upon is consistent with a raptor. No bones broken. Most mink action I have dealt with involved killing attack directed at kneck with consumption starting there. Location is not strong evidence for or against anything.

This was the only form of track that i could find in the area. Not much to go on. :-(

You better stay on your toes. Kill you presented earlier does not look like a raccoon does. Raccoons I have some by for quite some time before they get into birds yet they were easy to trap. It is easy to have more than one predator species visit each night. Very easy and I have seen it.

You better stay on your toes. Kill you presented earlier does not look like a raccoon does. Raccoons I have some by for quite some time before they get into birds yet they were easy to trap. It is easy to have more than one predator species visit each night. Very easy and I have seen it.
I'll certainly keep that in mind! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom