Swans - Free ranging in the pond - breeding preparations

We've killed a couple of younger turtles in the large pond but I've never seen one come into the yard and get in the smaller pond. I can't imagine one would get past my dogs, they're very protective. The smaller pond needs rain to fill it up right now. I will fill it from the well if the weather pattern remains as dry as they say over the next month. They have been staying close to the house and mostly in that smaller pond. I'm hoping that means they plan to build their nest here in the back yard.

Anyone know what sort of stuff I should keep handy for nest building? Maybe if I have the material handy, they'll build close to the small pond.

Keep an eye out for those protective dogs! They really can get themselves in trouble if a snapper does decide to come across your yard--they won't have any preconditioning, intinctual or otherwise, to realize the danger that poses to them. As the daughter of a vet, I grew up seeing almost daily examples of pet owners assuming their dogs/cats "knew" stuff that was totally foreign to them and ended up hurt or dead. I will admit, that became one of my pet peeves as I became an adult.

And about the nest building stuff? You'll know!!
lol.png
Wait till you see Barry start carrying every branch/twig/clump of grass--from everywhere he can find it. Then, if he's like my Samson, he'll have to rearrange everything a thousand times before he finally decides it's just right!! Samson cracks me up as he literally hunkers down and the long neck moves like a crane (the machine, not the bird)--back and forth--as he transfers clumps of grass from an area over towards where he's building the nest.

So that's what we do--all the spring-cleaning type yard stuff gets tossed into their area! We give them some straw (much of my reading doesn't recommend it, however, because it's slippery) but lots of other stuff to mix in so it's not as bad with the slippery aspect. (Think of sliding eggs and later little cygnets not being able to get back in the nest). He does amazingly well with sticks and twigs!

This goes on for a couple of weeks, usually, and all the while Delilah is out on the water bathing and preening and her body language literally is like "I am the queen" while Samson does all the work! But I think it is so cool because once the eggs are all laid and she starts to sit, that's it. Almost no more swimming, very little food and water--just sit and be patient for the next 34 days. I'll see her get up a few times during the incubation period, but never more than 10 minutes as a time and it's really rare. Therefore, it seems only fair that she get that "pampered" time before. Samson pitches in big-time with watching the little ones as soon as they hatch and it really seems like he is purposefully giving her a break. He also never stops patrolling the whole time she's on the nest .....that will probably be the end of your sweet and tame Barry for a while !! We usually have to carry a broom to keep him back when we try to put food in the feeder that's closer to Delilah during that time.

Hope this helps!
Beth

I've fed Barry and Rachel all winter (and before) fermented corn and barley, game bird feed. They eat greens in the pond and I've fed them fodder (barley fodder). Is there anything else or different I should be feeding to condition them? I've even put out layer pellets for the calcium but didn't know if that was as important to swans and there is usually oyster shell available that I put out for the chickens. The weather has been extreme this winter and the ponds frozen over most of the time but I keep a wading pool out by the well house where there is a non freezing spigot and I keep fresh water in the pool and they even get in it to float and preen as well as fresh water to drink. There's also a smaller pan next to it that I put feed in with water. They seem to prefer feeding that way.

There are plenty of sticks for Barry but I figured we would also cut down the bamboo (last years stalks) for nesting materials too. I'm getting anxious for spring to arrive and see Barry in action building a nest. They are bonded and I'm hoping there will be some cygnets hatched this year. They're still very comfortable with me, eating from a bowl I'm holding, laying close to where I'm standing when I'm feeding the guineas etc. They stay on my heels when I'm out there and Barry still gently tugs at my pant leg for attention. I just love these guys.

I set turtle trap with a gallon milk jug and use chalk line from hardware store with large hook. About golf ball size piece of meat that i get my local butcher that they throw away, & attach to a gallon milk jug. I put out a half of dozen milk jugs out for 3-4 weeks.

There is a guy in Indiana that has a bonded pair, a mute and a black Australian and have reproduced. Some mottled while others a blue color . The mottled ones were all large like a mute but the blue was just like a black.

Back
Top Bottom