Swans in a hotel

My BIL does work there, and he was in charge of cleaning the water a few months back. They have dog crates to put them in while they clean the water, and for regular cleaning they skim the pond without bothering to move them. I was awake an entire night watching them, and they do stay there all night . . . they don't take them anywhere else. I would certainly be nice about it. I just think they need the option of privacy. I remember zoos when I was little . . . particularly the big cats, walking round and round a small enclosure with nothing to hide behind. Now people complain they can't even see the big cats, or that they do nothing but sleep . . . well, yeah, because they're not being driven stir crazy and can get privacy. Sleep is what a healthy cat does! These swans dredged up my memory of the zoos, which I think is the main reason it bothers me so much. I understand there are much worse things that happen to poultry (I've brought home pekin ducks from city ponds, only to have them so sick already they died within the week), but just because something isn't THAT bad off is no reason to not try and help it. To the hotel's credit, there were only a couple coins in the pond, so they must watch after that pretty carefully.

I was involved in some complaints recently about a shopping mall with ducks in their fountains. They had very expensive designer ducks in very small fountains. They were provided no food during the day because if they were fed less they pooped in the water and it was easier to clean. I was very surprised to find they had no one in charge of the animals. They ordered the birds on-line and just chucked them in the mall fountain. They guy said he never had ducks before but he woudl find a vet if one got sick. These people didn't care about the ducks and they were just an attraction.

Another time when i called we found out they had a vet on staff and everything to care for the animals. So normally i try to get as much facts as I can but its sounds to me like they aren't cared for properly. How big is the fountain? Does the hotel have a website, or somewhere we can see photos? Crating them for an hour while the water gets cleaned isn't acceptable. They do need some type of floating ramp or somewhere they can rest when the want.

I wonder how many people from the restaurant sneak them bread scraps and garbage, my biggest pet peeve.

Have you tried talking to the hotel about it? Your BIL obviously doesn't really care about the swans either way but it's possible that the hotel does provide something for them. Honestly I can't imagine a swan staying in any pool it didn't want to be in. Swans are some bad@ss birds and will take you on.
smile.png

You could always file a complaint with the local animal control and they are required by law to check out the situation.

Like I said... animal control laws are minimalistic in nature. Food, shelter (roof over restaurant would count), water is obvious. Resting areas and dry shelter areas aren't usually written into local codes. The law doesn't have wide interpetations.

The only way to change things is to gently put pressure on the restaurant/hotel with the interest of "locals." Information that, yes, even swans need time to walk around and dry out, that they should have some sort of "cute", even, shelter out of the water or some sort of float island they can get on to. If you have simple, even cute or attractive ideas ready to "help" them think things through, things are likely to go better. It's probably not that they intend to be evil. Most people don't. Under-educated... that's another thing. They probably haven't a clue that swans aren't fish. Sigh.

I worked in animal control. Don't expect a law to enforce this sort of thing. Unfortunately when the laws got put on the books they were minimalistic and they've stayed that way. The public wants better laws but is rarely ready to get out and make the effort to actually change and enforce (aka spend TAX payer money) them.

As soon as most animal shelters and humane offices start asking for more tax dollars from community wallets, people start slamming doors. Enforcement and impound cost tons of $$$.

What will help those swans is community help and gentle pressure. Awareness and education is half the battle.

None of the times we have dealt with this issue would animal control, humane society or anyone assist. Animal control will tell you their wildlife and out of their juristiction. Wildlife will tell you swans arent native and they dont regulate non nartive animals. Etc etc you just get run around after run around. Most animal control agencies wouldnt even know what a swan needed to begin with, so i think they would be a waste of time to even bother with. We have a very large animal control here and I dont think anyone there knows anything about anything with feathers. They are designed to deal with dog and cat issues mostly.

Last edited:
Yup, if it has feathers there usually isn't a law. I bet waterfowl rescue is a nightmare. No laws, no standards, no agency, no help.

Sometimes I have to shake my head as a dog rescuer. Can't imagine the troubles and complications of waterfowl.

ha ha you have no idea! I do a lot with wildlife so at least there is rules and you know who to talk to. The domestic or non native birds are just a complete gray area. Its funny becuase in my area the law enfrocement people call me to ask me what the laws are the apply to certain situations. There are some state laws as far as abandoment, novelty sales but almost nothing for cruelty or mis-treatment.

Well, they can always take them out and replace them with fake mechanical swans and then everyone can be happy. It may be in their best interest to not bother to create ambiance in that way because some will find something wrong with everything.

At this point i want to see the company's website. Because I think this is very unfair to make blind accusations without any supporting evidence. The only thing i have heard is the swans are kept in water... ??? I have not heard that they could not get out if they wanted to. Didn't you say they could walk through the restaurant if they wanted to. That doesn't seem very sanitary for the guests but it does not sound like animal cruelty in any way. I have not heard that they looked unhealthy or were not cared for. I have not heard anything except that they were kept in water. The whole thing sounds like a lie to me. Animals can not be pooping in a food establishment unrestrained from entering the serving area or the Health Department would be involved.... not Animal Control.

Let's see this hotel's site with pictures so we can all evaluate. Otherwise this is unfounded gossip with no evidence and possibly defamation of their character on a whim. This is how they started in Salem with empty innuendos that grew larger and larger.

PS I would like to hear what the owners of the restaurant have to say also since we are opening a can of beans by publicly criticizing a company and insinuating that have committed animal abuse. When anyone can say anything about anyone with no evidence maybe it makes the plaintiff feel special or important. But it can waste so much time, money and energy when the claims are childish games and frivolity. We must be judicious and responsible or we are causing so much more harm than any good at all. I hate to sound mean but i feel that people need to be held to certain standards when they make such serious accusations.

Last edited:
I wrote a note with a suggestion for a swan house, and asking them (politely) if there is any dry area for the swans to stand on that I missed.

dixygirl, I understand your concerns and when you said,

"we are opening a can of beans by publicly criticizing a company and insinuating that have committed animal abuse."

it hit the nail on the head as to exactly why I should NOT post any of hotel's information. I am hoping to post their reply to my letter, if they send one, and I am absolutely hoping I missed the spot where they could get out of the water. I'd much rather find I was mistaken, than to continue thinking there's something amiss.
I'm sorry I led you to believe the swans were wandering through people's eating area . . . what I meant was, should the swans choose to be on dry ground, I couldn't see where they could do it except in the lobby or dining area. Those two areas completely border the pond, so that the guests may enjoy the swans while they're dining or waiting. I very much doubt the hotel staff would be as silly as to invite trouble by allowing the swans to wander around where people eat.
I am unclear as to why it would not be okay to remove the swans to a dog crate while the pond is being cleaned . . . given the options, this seems like the safest route, unless they choose to build a yard for the swans to wander in while they clean. I should probably add that suggestion to my letter, come to think of it . . .

My comment about the dog crate was just with regards to the fact that was the only time they were allowed rest. Storing them in there during cleanings is not a problem. We transport birds in crates all the time.

I think in order to publicly criticize someone you'd have to actually say who it is. Since there was never any mention of the company name I don't think any slander is going on just a discussion about the practice of keeping swans in the fountain. There is nothing wrong with asking about something if your not sure.

Back
Top Bottom