SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are first time duck owners and have a swedish blue! He's about a month old now and so sweet! We aren't completely sure he's really a he yet but time will tell! He hasn't found his quack quite yet, still just peeps away. :) we are going to get him some buddies in the spring as he is the only one that hatched out of 8 laid eggs :( But he is inside with us and our 4 kiddos until spring when he can get outside and run and play more :) We just love him! His name is Nibble :)

We are first time duck owners and have a swedish blue! He's about a month old now and so sweet! We aren't completely sure he's really a he yet but time will tell! He hasn't found his quack quite yet, still just peeps away.
smile.png
we are going to get him some buddies in the spring as he is the only one that hatched out of 8 laid eggs
sad.png
But he is inside with us and our 4 kiddos until spring when he can get outside and run and play more
smile.png
We just love him! His name is Nibble
smile.png
Sounds like that duck will be a keeper not matter what it will turn out to be. That duckling has not choice but to be bonded to you.
Now you have see send us picture`s so we all can watch him grow.

So anyone else ever process one of their swedes? I just finished processing an extra Swedish duck that I had. He was 8 months old and I was pleasantly surprised by how meaty he was! Due to him being old though, I just skinned him. Any cooking tips?
1f601.png
thinking a pot of gumbo!

So anyone else ever process one of their swedes? I just finished processing an extra Swedish duck that I had. He was 8 months old and I was pleasantly surprised by how meaty he was! Due to him being old though, I just skinned him. Any cooking tips?
1f601.png
thinking a pot of gumbo!
Yes I had bought 6 ducks that were suppose to be all hens but got them home and could see that 2 were drakes.
I Never plan`d to process them but I did right away. I skin`d them also just to get done faster. Not much to them though.
I did bake them in the oven but would make a soup next time. I am sure that by leaving the skin on, it would have turn`d out better. My ducks are for eggs only .

Yes I had bought 6 ducks that were suppose to be all hens but got them home and could see that 2 were drakes.
I Never plan`d to process them but I did right away. I skin`d them also just to get done faster. Not much to them though.
I did bake them in the oven but would make a soup next time. I am sure that by leaving the skin on, it would have turn`d out better. My ducks are for eggs only .

Aright, thanks. Yeah, I thought of plucking so that I could roast it, but it was 30* and raining when I did the processing, and I was ready to be finished! I'm probably going to stew him and make duck gumbo with andouille sausage. How old were yours when you processed them? Mine was older, but I was just over-all happy with the amount of meat he had on his legs and chest.

Hey guys, I'm new here. Last year I convinced my parents to let me get some ducks. I got them at two weeks old, I suspect their hatch date was mid may. They're both Swedish blues, I love them! My girl never laid an egg, when will she start? Is the first one gonna hurt her? How should I prepare for it?

Back
Top Bottom