SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are my Swedish ducks! They are fully grown now, but I love this picture of them when they're babies.

love.gif
I love them

@LNGSMITH

I have a mix of blue splash and black Swedish ducks (about 4 ish months old; 3 male and 3 female) just recently my fiance and i noticed that one of the blue splashed males has been charging our black male when he tries to get treats or be around the other ducks. It seems that he has been doing this a lot more, so the one duck is hesitant to go around the other ducks to keep from getting chased away. we have been watching and it is only the two ducks involved so far, so we have taken the one duck who was chasing and we now currently have him inside the house in a wire enclosed dog kennel away from the group entirely. We also had him inside the same environment  the night before and early afternoon today, we tried to let him back out with the group, but he only did the same behavior with the same duck.... Does anybody have any suggestions on what we can do to maybe either break the cycle or is this behavior a natural way for them to establish their pecking order; because the chaser and our third male duck who hasn't had any bad behaviors do not have any issues... Should i simply keep and eye on them and let them do their thing? Another side note; my fiance has read that females tend to get louder quacks when they are near laying and we are wondering if two of our three Swedish are getting close to begin laying eggs due to more frequent and louder quacks. Does anybody know if that could have anything to do with our male ducks acting up?? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated !!! :) 

Just noticed that you didn't get any replies. I'm guessing age and flock mix. 3 boys and 3 girls?....the boys are going to fight over the girls and likely over-breed them. The one is trying to show his dominance.

@LNGSMITH
Just noticed that you didn't get any replies. I'm guessing age and flock mix. 3 boys and 3 girls?....the boys are going to fight over the girls and likely over-breed them. The one is trying to show his dominance.

I've got 1 female khaki Campbell, 1 female buff; and they are almost a year and yes 3 male and 3 female blue and black swedish all the same age. So at this point in time would it be better to remove 1 or two males to prevent over breeding??

I've got 1 female khaki Campbell, 1 female buff; and they are almost a year and yes 3 male and 3 female blue and black swedish all the same age. So at this point in time would it be better to remove 1 or two males to prevent over breeding??

I'm not a nit-picky type of duck owner. I think all flocks are different. But I tried keeping extra males and ended up having to move them because they were too hard on the females. You may have to for the safety of the girls. And of the "lower" boys too. Keep an eye on them, but that's my guess as to what's going on.

Just set 9 Swedish eggs from my little flock. I have Black & Blue Drakes over black and blue hens so expecting B/B/S ducklings if incubation goes well. I have two pairs and so far they seem to be co-existing well and haven't seen any overbreeding. Anything I should watch for with these guys as Spring draws closer?

I think just continue to watch for overbreeding. Do the males ever show aggression towards each other?

Back
Top Bottom