Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I had 8 SFH's successfully hatch on Thanksgiving day. One of them started the gasping thing at about 3 days old. It didn't seem to be growing like the others. I fed it with a syringe and it ate well, but didn't develop like the others. It passed away on the 6th day. The lady I bought the eggs from is concerned that it might be a genetic issue. Does anyone have any info on this? The other 7 chicks are growing like crazy, active and healthy. Thanks!

I had 8 SFH's successfully hatch on Thanksgiving day. One of them started the gasping thing at about 3 days old. It didn't seem to be growing like the others. I fed it with a syringe and it ate well, but didn't develop like the others. It passed away on the 6th day. The lady I bought the eggs from is concerned that it might be a genetic issue. Does anyone have any info on this? The other 7 chicks are growing like crazy, active and healthy. Thanks!
Maybe the chick aspirated some water when it first started drinking and developed pneumonia. Don't necessarily think it was "genetic". Even if it was "genetic", there are always those occasional chicks that just aren't "right" that don't grow or are sickly. Those chicks should be culled if they don't die on their own. In nature they would die or fall to predators so wouldn't make a genetic contribution to the flock. I sure wouldn't be alarmed by one chick with some sort of problem and the breeder shouldn't unless there have been more chicks with same problem. I wouldn't worry about it if all the other chicks are doing so well and continue to do so.

Please tell me if these are swedish flower hens or Roos? I have to say they are the meanest birds I've ever kept and pick on everything! I would like to get rid of them

Please tell me if these are swedish flower hens or Roos? I have to say they are the meanest birds I've ever kept and pick on everything! I would like to get rid of them

They're very curious birds. I think a lot of times that brazen personality is misunderstood as aggressive. I'm not saying that your boys aren't aggressive...but if you think about it, do they act more without fear?

Back
Top Bottom