Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I have been lurking a bit on this thread, just got my first Swedish Flower hens chicks a few weeks ago and they are all so different. Hoping for 1 roo out of the 4, for a nice quad. I can't seem to tell. I love them so far, can't wait to get more! I am seriously considering switching my flock to only SFH and Cochins! Here are some pics, can you guys give me some feedback on what colors you think they are and what genders? Pics are of side and then top on each chick. They are 3 weeks old. The #2 and #4 I got from a local breeder who said they were pullets.
Chick #1:

Chick #2:

Chick #3:

Chick #4:

Any suggestions on these little guys? I will try to post updated pics soon.

Alpine here is my new Snoboy at 9 weeks.

You´re right, he´s very cute, and does look similar to mine. Now you just need some girls...
Thank-you for trying your Swedish contact, that´s very nice of you. It would be great if that worked out somehow; it would be a shame to be in Sweden and not be able to take any eggs back with me. I´m having some real trouble out here getting more genetic diversity into my flock because there are just so few people who have them so far. I get a lot of people wanting to buy some, though. They´re starting to catch on!

Any suggestions on these little guys? I will try to post updated pics soon.

Hi, I´m not as advanced at this as some of the others on this site, but it´s really often very hard to tell at 3 weeks. Nr 2 and 4 look a bit boyish to me, and Nr 3 more like a pullet. I don´t want to hazard a guess on Nr 1, I´d also need a closer-up picture of the comb. Maybe it will be easier with the updated pictures...

You´re right, he´s very cute, and does look similar to mine. Now you just need some girls...
Thank-you for trying your Swedish contact, that´s very nice of you. It would be great if that worked out somehow; it would be a shame to be in Sweden and not be able to take any eggs back with me. I´m having some real trouble out here getting more genetic diversity into my flock because there are just so few people who have them so far. I get a lot of people wanting to buy some, though. They´re starting to catch on!
Sent you some PM's, let me know if they came through. They are starting to catch on here as well! I ordered the GFF latest line that is supposed to be on new blood completely unrelated to anything that's imported, and also some lines that came from Germany from a private breeder here who had them imported. Of course, everyone is watching the new birds, and since there is no SOP here, those who are conscientious are trying to do their best to follow Swedish gene bank guidelines. Certainly it is a daunting task at times.

Have a great SUnday...

MB

Looks like the SFH I have is going to be the solo SFH I have, gonna put her in the egg layers pen with the EE when she's old enough, the SFH I just hatched died, so that was my last chance at getting a pair for breeding purposes. Oh well lucky to have the one, she's gonna be pretty, guess I have to pick out a different breed for a breeding flock. Here she is on the left.

I
Looks like the SFH I have is going to be the solo SFH I have, gonna put her in the egg layers pen with the EE when she's old enough, the SFH I just hatched died, so that was my last chance at getting a pair for breeding purposes. Oh well lucky to have the one, she's gonna be pretty, guess I have to pick out a different breed for a breeding flock. Here she is on the left.
I don't think you are far from me. I probably have an extra boy in the grow-out pen or brooder now that I could give you if you can give me a few weeks to find out for sure. :)

I
I don't think you are far from me. I probably have an extra boy in the grow-out pen or brooder now that I could give you if you can give me a few weeks to find out for sure.
smile.png
If you have a spare that would be amazing. Please let me know when you know

First Egg!!!! Went out to the coop to let the chickens into the run, and there on the ground was an egg. Must of been laid right before dark as I didn't see it when I locked them in last night. They were hatched on October 17 and we have been anxiously looking for 2 weeks. Now if the other 3 would get on it. It's so tiny.

Last edited:

First Egg!!!! Went out to the coop to let the chickens into the run, and there on the ground was an egg. Must of been laid right before dark as I didn't see it when I locked them in last night. They were hatched on October 17 and we have been anxiously looking for 2 weeks. Now if the other 3 would get on it. It's so tiny.

:thumbsup Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom