Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Yes they would. 1 gene for crested gives you the small crest. 2 genes big crest. I personally like the small crest and want the breed to stay practical. A large crest can decrease their ability to free range successfully. I've also found chickens with big crests tend to get picked on in a mixed flock-maybe because everyone can sneak up on them? However I can see doing it on purpose for breeding purposes.

Hi all,

My chicks are abut two weeks old and seem to be from the "no band" line. I was wondering when you can start to tell if they are crested? Also, when does their adult coloring come in?

Thanks,
Tiffany!

Aww... Sweet chickies.

I doubt it is lethal, but it is possible. There has been some speculation that crested x crested will cause a very large crest which would make it difficult to see when free-ranging. I just hatched 17 chicks from my flock. I set 22 eggs. If I remember, 2 were clear and 3 were early quitters. I have 2 crested roos, and 1 non-crested roo running with 3 crested hens and 4 non-crested hens. None of them appear to have an extra large crest at this point, but they are only a week old. Here is a picture when they were 1 day old. They are all perfectly adorable as far as I can see!
[IMG]http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/5/53/900x900px-LL-53b5a8cf_SFHchicks061912.jpeg[/IMG]

I think they only band them when they are sending more then one line. My first order contained 2 lines and one was banded. My 2nd and third shipment were not banded but they told me what line they were from.

Back
Top Bottom