Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I think I would have cried when I found the incubator like that.

I have raised over 30 SFH chicks in the last 6 months alone, and none have olive legs. Adorable baby though.

Oh my gosh... to lose that many eggs on day 19...

I would have been absolutely sick to my stomach!

So sorry for your loss. Glad you did get 3 chicks at least. And I will agree that the chick pictured is NOT a SFH. Sorry.

Here are a few pics of the basque over swedish flower hen that I hatched. It was an experiment, but I think that it will be a very pretty chicken when done. Maybe kind of blue?

It has a stripe down it's back and neither the basque or the swede have that.

It also has kind of a dot on it's head, but it's more of a blotch of whiteness than a true dot. It also has eye liner.

They had just gotten a bunch of fermented feed, so it's full and has ff all over it's front. So cute!

Here are a few pics of the basque over swedish flower hen that I hatched. It was an experiment, but I think that it will be a very pretty chicken when done. Maybe kind of blue?

It also has kind of a dot on it's head, but it's more of a blotch of whiteness than a true dot. It also has eye liner.

They had just gotten a bunch of fermented feed, so it's full and has ff all over it's front. So cute!
the chipmunk pattern is muted but still present in the other varieties IMO, just not as obvious.

and the white spot just means it'll be barred.

the chipmunk pattern is muted but still present in the other varieties IMO, just not as obvious.

and the white spot just means it'll be barred.
Oh, I'd forgotten about that. I know for sure that the basques have the stripe.

I just love this chicken. I really, really hope it turns out to be a girl.

This chick reminds me of the an interesting combination of some of my rhodebar chicks.
The darker chipmunk chicks are girls... the ones with spots on their heads are boys...
Will be interesting to see how this chick matures...

Am I the only person raising Swedish Flower Hens in Massachusetts? I need to add to my gene pool.

You might be. I thought madamwlf sent some up there, but I'm not sure.

I could meet you in PA if that helps? Or NJ?

If my ME relatives were traveling this way any time soon, I'd see if they were willing to haul a bird or two. They usually catch the train in Boston, IIRC.

My picture of Olympus got an honorable mention in the online picture show here on BYC ;)

Back
Top Bottom