Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I'm joining this thread because I just got my first SF Hens. Here is my young cockerel and pullet. I also got two younger chicks that are about 6 wks old. This cockerel is crested and so is the pullet. I didn't know when I got them that I shouldn't breed crested to crested, but have read here that I shouldn't. The two younger chicks, so far, look like pullets and I haven't seen any signs of crests yet, so maybe I'll still be able to expand my flock. I do have a question about the cockerel, though. He has two crooked toes that you can see in the photo. They don't appear to hamper him, but is this a trait that you guys would normally cull for? Any other comments about this pair are welcome. Thanks!

I'm joining this thread because I just got my first SF Hens. Here is my young cockerel and pullet. I also got two younger chicks that are about 6 wks old. This cockerel is crested and so is the pullet. I didn't know when I got them that I shouldn't breed crested to crested, but have read here that I shouldn't. The two younger chicks, so far, look like pullets and I haven't seen any signs of crests yet, so maybe I'll still be able to expand my flock. I do have a question about the cockerel, though. He has two crooked toes that you can see in the photo. They don't appear to hamper him, but is this a trait that you guys would normally cull for? Any other comments about this pair are welcome. Thanks!

Welcome! Personally I don't usually worry about funky toes with this breed unless I KNOW they are genetic. These guys are hard to incubate and crooked toes are common from humidity issues at hatch.

Pretty birds indeed! Yes - I wouldn't suggest hatching crested x crested eggs, but perhaps you can add some unrelated uncrested birds to your flock soon.
thumbsup.gif

I really like what I've been reading and seeing about this breed. I ran across this breed a couple of days ago and am getting hooked. I currently have 4 pullets- 2 Australorps, 1 Barred PR, 1 Partridge PR and 2 hens- 1 Black Orph, 1 Blue laced Wyndott.

One thing I was wondering and would like to know is which of the following ideas or practices is proper?

I've been reading on the thread of specific type breeding ie. crested to crested etc., but at the same time speak of keeping the breed as it originated. Wouldn't "originated" be similar to how it was all of those years ago with the birds breeding as normal without mans selective in put?

On the other hand......

I read on one of the Swedish breed sites that they promote and practice "overall objective is to keep the breed exactly as it has been over the past 300 years! No selective improvement of any of the breed characteristics which invariably affects the originality of the breed".

I'm just curious about the differences and maybe totally off base on the subject, but they are some very nice eye catching birds.

I really like what I've been reading and seeing about this breed. I ran across this breed a couple of days ago and am getting hooked. I currently have 4 pullets- 2 Australorps, 1 Barred PR, 1 Partridge PR and 2 hens- 1 Black Orph, 1 Blue laced Wyndott.

One thing I was wondering and would like to know is which of the following ideas or practices is proper?

I've been reading on the thread of specific type breeding ie. crested to crested etc., but at the same time speak of keeping the breed as it originated. Wouldn't "originated" be similar to how it was all of those years ago with the birds breeding as normal without mans selective in put?

On the other hand......

I read on one of the Swedish breed sites that they promote and practice "overall objective is to keep the breed exactly as it has been over the past 300 years! No selective improvement of any of the breed characteristics which invariably affects the originality of the breed".

I'm just curious about the differences and maybe totally off base on the subject, but they are some very nice eye catching birds.

I heard and was wondering the same thing.

On the other hand......

personally, "landrace" breeding isn't likely to happen for many...

I can't free range 20+ birds, mixed roos and hens of any/all color varieties, crests, etc and let them do their thing... I have limited breeding pens so am simply setting them up in small groups.

crest to crest CAN be done, but again in a free range situation, double crested birds will be self limiting since they're also likely to be the first ones caught and eaten, since they can't see as well (because of the crest) also, hatch rates may decrease, so you would have to set even more eggs to get a decent hatch.

realistically, if the breed is to survive, selecting for broody hens is necessary, or it won't be self-sustaining much longer. and it's going to take human input to select the best birds to continue the lines. that means picking birds that meet the general size and type of the breed, have good vigor and energy and are generally built to lay well.

Hi, y'all. I need some quick advice. My broody cuckoo maran has been sitting on a dozen fertilized SFH eggs for two and a half weeks. This coming Sunday will be three weeks, and I know that means they should hatch on Saturday or Sunday. The hen and eggs are safely isolated from the rest of the flock in my brooding hutch and run.

This afternoon, I came home to discover that one of the eggs was crushed, and there was a dead little fully-formed chick sticking out. Dried goo was all over the neighboring egg. The maran wasn't sitting on the dead chick and neighboring egg, but as soon as I removed the crushed egg and chick, she settled down over all the eggs.

First questions: What gives with the dead chick? After two and a half weeks of carefully brooding the dozen eggs, did she step on this egg? Or could the chick have hatched this early? If so, did my maran kill it or did it hatch too early to survive?

Next questions: What should I do in light of this development? Are the other eggs going to hatch early, too? The hutch is on the ground, with water and feed pellets in dishes nearby. After removing the chick, I: 1) filled and set out the little dispensers for water and chick feed; and 2) built a little hay ramp outside the hutch so the chicks could get over the couple-of-inch-high lip of the hutch entrance. What else should I do?

Thank you for any and all advice. I have never hatched eggs before. At least I now know the eggs are developing.

Hi, y'all. I need some quick advice. My broody cuckoo maran has been sitting on a dozen fertilized SFH eggs for two and a half weeks. This coming Sunday will be three weeks, and I know that means they should hatch on Saturday or Sunday. The hen and eggs are safely isolated from the rest of the flock in my brooding hutch and run.

This afternoon, I came home to discover that one of the eggs was crushed, and there was a dead little fully-formed chick sticking out. Dried goo was all over the neighboring egg. The maran wasn't sitting on the dead chick and neighboring egg, but as soon as I removed the crushed egg and chick, she settled down over all the eggs.

First questions: What gives with the dead chick? After two and a half weeks of carefully brooding the dozen eggs, did she step on this egg? Or could the chick have hatched this early? If so, did my maran kill it or did it hatch too early to survive?

Next questions: What should I do in light of this development? Are the other eggs going to hatch early, too? The hutch is on the ground, with water and feed pellets in dishes nearby. After removing the chick, I: 1) filled and set out the little dispensers for water and chick feed; and 2) built a little hay ramp outside the hutch so the chicks could get over the couple-of-inch-high lip of the hutch entrance. What else should I do?

Thank you for any and all advice. I have never hatched eggs before. At least I now know the eggs are developing.

Chances are mamma bird just made a mistake and accidentally broke one of her eggs. It happens. Just leave the rest of them under her and you will hopefully get some nice babies on Sunday.

It sounds like you've set your broody up quite nicely. Just let her do her thing. It's amazing how nature will take over.
big_smile.png

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom