Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Could you please post a picture of their mo. and dad. Those birds in the picture look a little strange to me Either you are rarefiying the breed, select breeding ore just plain lucky I don"t know. There are a lot of people mixing good SWF with other birds and selling the offspring as SWF. As an old man who loves different breeds of chickens, I hate to see this happening. My SFH are all from different breeders, almost to the age of breeding, but I have too many roo's, desperately need a few ( 12 ) more hens. Yes the picture was beautiful but they all look alike. If they are pure SWF good luck. Very pretty! Paul

Could you please post a picture of their mo. and dad. Those birds in the picture look a little strange to me Either you are rarefiying the breed, select breeding ore just plain lucky I don"t know. There are a lot of people mixing good SWF with other birds and selling the offspring as SWF. As an old man who loves different breeds of chickens, I hate to see this happening. My SFH are all from different breeders, almost to the age of breeding, but I have too many roo's, desperately need a few ( 12 ) more hens. Yes the picture was beautiful but they all look alike. If they are pure SWF good luck. Very pretty! Paul
As much as they look all in the same general color range, mostly brown and red, I see a lot a variation in the chicks. I am sure there will be lots of variation in the adult birds. It just looks like the parent stock did not have any blue or black in their genes.

I have just gotten 2 new chicks from GFF's new line- which I was told by the "chicken wrangler" from GFF that they are laying extra large eggs!!! I can't wait till they grow up and I can add them to my flock.

They are GFF stock. I paid the full price to get them from the purest line possible rather than risk mutts.

Last edited:
I have a question for the experienced SFH people/breeders.

Do you keep the colors separate when breeding (gray to gray, red to red, white to white, etc.) or do you just let them mix freely? If they were "in the wild" it would be a free-mix...is that how the breeders intend to perpetuate this breed?

Do you keep the colors separate when breeding (gray to gray, red to red, white to white, etc.) or do you just let them mix freely? If they were "in the wild" it would be a free-mix...is that how the breeders intend to perpetuate this breed?
mix freely!! that is how they got their so vast colors they can be!

i don't plan on breeding anything specific, so yes, they will just be in a group. as a landrace breed, they originally just bred as they wanted and the strongest adapted and survived to reproduce.

IMO that's what we should all be striving for. a strong line with good vigor and fertility. they're all pretty, regardless of color. the only thing i would NOT use in my sfh pen are solid (non-mottled) birds, and anything other than yellow legs. tho i am having misgivings about breeding crested to crested. we'll see what happens once the girls start laying and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom