Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Those babies are beautiful!

My 4.5 week-olds hatched by my white Silkie LOVED free ranging in the beautiful VA weather today! I had them out almost the entire day.

And on a side note, I've got SFH eggs coming out my ears it seems. Now that spring has finally sprung (knocking on wood), my 3 girls are laying almost daily.

No babies today....but I'm not giving up hope yet.

If they haven't hatched middle of the week, I'll go get some red sex link pullet chicks from TSC and then these Silkies won't break their hearts (besides, the first one is wasting away to nothing!). My Cochin hen is sitting firm on 6 from Bernie, set last week. She is aggressive enough I might not get to candle them...she gets way onery when you open the coop door.

My liitle lame roo looks to be adjusting and dong well. He takes care of the chicks I put him in with....they cuddle up together. So sweet. My plan is to eventually integrate all the young birds into one big flock; it would make it easier if all the LF were in one group instead of this flock and that flock, even though they all sleep in the same coop (except for the older SFH roo, who ranges with and sleeps with the Cochins).

One of my neighbors stopped by and asked how many roosters we have....while we have no restrictions, I don't want to bug the neighbors. This guy lives several farms down and says he can hear the roosters. I tried to give him one....Might be time to cull again.

I picked up the SFH egg under the Silkie, and I thought I could feel something moving in there.

One other broody gave up. Luckily she did not have eggs that were important. I put her eggs under a different Silkie.

The Cochin pushed out one of her eggs, and it smashed, but there was no development.

well, redneck seems to need a few more days of privacy to heal up some more... the other roos were harrassing him this morning, not letting him eat or drink. so i brought him in (to my newly empty brooder - thanks to the swap yesterday
wink.png
) and he's relaxing in luxury now. complete with scratch grains, chick feed, and his own water bowl. LOL

took a pic of his injury today too, with hubby's help. the upper portion the superglue held it together long enough to seal up (up in the feathered part) but i think filling his crop is what caused the glue to let go... but it's healing so
fl.gif
he continues to do well.

he looks a bit of a mess with all his pretty feathers removed tho.

well, redneck seems to need a few more days of privacy to heal up some more... the other roos were harrassing him this morning, not letting him eat or drink. so i brought him in (to my newly empty brooder - thanks to the swap yesterday
wink.png
) and he's relaxing in luxury now. complete with scratch grains, chick feed, and his own water bowl. LOL

took a pic of his injury today too, with hubby's help. the upper portion the superglue held it together long enough to seal up (up in the feathered part) but i think filling his crop is what caused the glue to let go... but it's healing so
fl.gif
he continues to do well.

he looks a bit of a mess with all his pretty feathers removed tho.

Poor guy! Glad you're taking such good care of him!

Hi! I'm an old man in south Texas, judt south of San Antonio, and wonder where you got your swf. I think they are beaytiful.and would like to get a doz. eggs or babies. The coloring is so fine and their stature is beautiful. As long as they diddent come from south Texas. I'm mixing up my chickens from all over and need a mix. thank you. Paul

Hi! I'm an old man in south Texas, judt south of San Antonio, and wonder where you got your swf. I think they are beaytiful.and would like to get a doz. eggs or babies. The coloring is so fine and their stature is beautiful. As long as they diddent come from south Texas. I'm mixing up my chickens from all over and need a mix. thank you. Paul

Paul,
I sent you a message.

The Cochin pushed out one of her eggs, and it smashed, but there was no development.
Bummer! I hope the others are good! I candled my 20 SFH swap eggs today, and it looks like 18 of 20 are developing. They are due the same day as yours. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom