Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote Goose and Fig: yes, sfh use the same genetics with respect to blues... but if your roo is anything like mine, he's such a dark blue he looks almost black.

That is beautiful!
Just make sure you don't use cedar shavings in there as well- it can cause respiratory problems.

Bernie56-
Wouldn't I need a roo with blue in it to get splash chicks out of my blue hens? Does B/B/S work different in the SFH? These are the first I am hatching from my own flock.
I'm not sure about B/B/S genetics in SFH, but it would make sense. My original chicks were all light. I had 3 that were silvery/blue that all turned out to be splash. (The splash roos do get a lot of red as them mature, the hens stay pretty white with blue or red flecks. At least in my experience) I used a red/white roo, and a red/gold roo over two splash hens and a red/white hen. Out of 36 chicks hatched I had 1 black/white (that matured blue), and all of the rest were red/white or splash. The splash are beautiful in moderation, but I wasn't thrilled with an all white flock! The chicks from my new roos are showing a lot of color. Can't wait to see how they mature! Best of luck to you on your hatch!

Um...can we talk about egg size and hatching? My eggs, my hens eggs, seem small compared to the ones I just got from Charm1704. I've tried hatching a few but with poor results. My flowers are a year old. Comments? Experiences?

Um...can we talk about egg size and hatching? My eggs, my hens eggs, seem small compared to the ones I just got from Charm1704. I've tried hatching a few but with poor results. My flowers are a year old. Comments? Experiences?
With my hens the eggs got bigger when they were well over a year old, like a year and three months to a year and a half. You might give them a few more months.

I GOT BEST IN SHOW (just the rare breeds classic part)
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif
big_smile.png
ill post a pic tomorrow!

WOO HOO! YAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
highfive.gif
ya.gif

What are you feeding them? Do they free range?

Feeding fermented feed (if you don't already) can make a BIG difference in eggs. My girls won't be a year until August, but their eggs are a really good size and they have great fertility/hatch rates - even on the shipped eggs. I attribute it to the fermented feed and tons of free ranging.

Alright guys sorry Im a day late but here is pictures of the 2 pairs I took over to the show! I had a pair of crested and a pair of non crested and a whole display dedicated to the Swedish Flower Hen! It really pays off when your 4H leaders wife is in charge of the poultry set up and displays! I had the biggest and best looking display! But any way I took totaly different colors over to show the diversity in color! HERE THEY ARE!

Pair 1 crested

Pair 2 non crested

Alright guys sorry Im a day late but here is pictures of the 2 pairs I took over to the show! I had a pair of crested and a pair of non crested and a whole display dedicated to the Swedish Flower Hen! It really pays off when your 4H leaders wife is in charge of the poultry set up and displays! I had the biggest and best looking display! But any way I took totaly different colors over to show the diversity in color! HERE THEY ARE!

Pair 1 crested

Pair 2 non crested
My ribbon got mixed up darn! This is the best in class ribbon I got in my horticulture project! BUT I did get best in show poultry! They look exactly the same but different wording! Thanks again guys I appreciate the support and glad I got these birds to show!

My ribbon got mixed up darn! This is the best in class ribbon I got in my horticulture project! BUT I did get best in show poultry! They look exactly the same but different wording! Thanks again guys I appreciate the support and glad I got these birds to show!
Congrats again but where did you get such small chickens?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom