Swedish Flower Hen Thread

my SFH have just recently started pumping out the eggs! 6 girls and I'm getting 5 a day for the last 4 days! I've also got 6 in the brooder. 2 are nearly a month old, the others just over 2 weeks old. thought I'd post a cuteness pic... I had 4 teeny Serama hatch yesterday, but to keep them from getting stomped by all the bigger chicks, they have their own brooder with just 1 big brother SFH. at least until they can navigate into the feed/water trays that hang on the sides of the brooders... (to give a frame of scale, that's 1/2" wire they're standing on.)
awwwwew, :love

Right between Grand Rapids and Kazoo. How'd you win SFH eggs?
The easter HAL. I won one of the caption contests :).
I've personally been incubating in my sportsman with the humidity running 45 to 50%. They're doing great in there. Due to hatch the monday after easter. I feed non medicated chick starter as KYTinpusher said. Other than that I raise them just like any other chicks. I wish you the best with them!
Cool, thanks.
Kinda like old home week here! I grew up in East Grand Rapids and went to college in East Lansing. :D
Wow, lots of MI folks!
my SFH have just recently started pumping out the eggs! 6 girls and I'm getting 5 a day for the last 4 days! I've also got 6 in the brooder. 2 are nearly a month old, the others just over 2 weeks old. thought I'd post a cuteness pic... I had 4 teeny Serama hatch yesterday, but to keep them from getting stomped by all the bigger chicks, they have their own brooder with just 1 big brother SFH. at least until they can navigate into the feed/water trays that hang on the sides of the brooders... (to give a frame of scale, that's 1/2" wire they're standing on.)
:love Too cute, love this breed already!

Did they put any insurance on it?  I wonder if you could turn in a claim.

I think we need to find you someone within driving distance that you can get some from without involving the post office!

The seller said we could file a claim if I wanted, but that's not going to do anything for future shipments they beat the snot out of. She also offered to give me more eggs, just for the cost of shipping, but I'm going to skip that.
We gave the broody two of our Cream cochin mix eggs, just to round out her numbers, so at least she'll hatch something. I'm giving the eggs a few more days, and we'll candle again to see how things look.

The seller said we could file a claim if I wanted, but that's not going to do anything for future shipments they beat the snot out of. She also offered to give me more eggs, just for the cost of shipping, but I'm going to skip that.
We gave the broody two of our Cream cochin mix eggs, just to round out her numbers, so at least she'll hatch something. I'm giving the eggs a few more days, and we'll candle again to see how things look.

I think you should file a claim. If we all file claims and cost them money when we get clearly abused eggs we can get our point across and yes, it may very well help future shipments.

Good luck, I hope at least some of the chicks will hatch. I would file a claim depending on how the packaging was. In my student days I used to work for the post office part time, and I think I remember that there have to be at least 2 inches of protective packaging all around for a claim to be considered, but I´m not completely sure. I know they often handle the packages roughly, but it´s not always their fault something gets broken. I once ordered hatching eggs and received them in the mail in only a taped-up egg carton (!)- it was completely damp and smelly once I got it. You can imagine how the eggs inside looked. Amazingly enough, 4 of the eggs were still intact, and one even hatched (although it wasn´t the breed I had ordered).

The eggs were individualy wrapped in bubble wrap, then four or five in a bubble wrap pocket and then sat in the box with wrap around the two packs of eggs. Nothing was broken, but the way the air cells are moving all over, Im thinking the box got shaken up real good. We candled last night, because I can't help myself, and did see an SFH egg with veining that looked pretty good.
Alpine-I'm amazed someone thought the eggs were going to make it to you unharmed. Wow.

I just set 21 SFH eggs! :celebrate I soooooooo hope we get a good hatch :fl

I had my incubator fired up with diff eggs to hatch, and stopped by my friend's farm because I had room for one more egg. The Dad was a red SFH with blue base, the mom a dark grey SFH. This guy came on Weds.

Back
Top Bottom