Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I am in southern CA. I am in search of swedish flower chickens. I need a rooster. anyone close by or will ship?
Anyone have an extra boy?
big_smile.png
@OHfarmerswife @minihorse927 @Melabella @Bulldogma

Awesome post. thx. Would love to hear more about this if ever you have the time or inclination.
Strange thing is I had this wild thought when looking at him wondering if SFH were related to
Bielevelders along the way! I cast that aside because I am so new to chickens and especially the SFH's.
So I really perked up when I read your post. :)
I have bred dogs for conformation the last 40 yrs and also into breeding show quality cats, so I have
developed some sort of eye for any breed. Thank you again!
as was said by KTy previously, Swedish Flower hens do not have barring. Well they hadn't until this most recent group of supposedly "pure" SFH's they imported
sad.png
. I know someone that bought some of their chicks a few months ago and she got one in the batch like yours. This is not correct for the breed. Maybe their new breeding stock does in fact have this, as they told you, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not correct. What they told you really is concerning. Problem is that people new to the breed don't know and greenfire's primary concern is selling chicks. Either Greenfire is having breeding "accidents" there among different breeds or the latest breeding stock they imported has some genes there that shouldn't be there. SFH's are mottled, not barred or both. Really concerns me that multiple birds like this are coming from GFF's latest import line. I had thought about purchasing some this year to add to the flock I already have establish from previous import lines but now I won't. At least I know what is correct and what isn't so I would discard any birds like this, but some of those just getting started in the breed do not know and they get something like this and then breed it, selling the offspring and thereby adding more of these bad genes to the population. You would think that if you get your stock directly from Greenfire you have something of quality. Well, there are those that would say you can't count on that and knowing this barred bird of yours was a direct GFF chick, I would agree! There is now a fair number of established breeders of SFH's throughout the US that care more about maintaining and preserving the purity and correctness of the breed than GFF does. I would say these breeders are a good choice for getting breeding stock over GFF.

Last edited:
Thank you KtFlowers,
I just placed my SFH rooster this past week. Very difficult for me to do since he was so extremely beautiful and I had only ordered two SFH's from GGF's. I will keep the hen and hope the best as she is beautiful, too and what a layer she is! I will keep searching for good stock to add to her as I do want more in my flock. Mine have very sweet natures and I hope all are like that.
I undertanad and agree with everything you said. I placed my Roo with saying what breed he was.
I apprecciate folks straighforwardness on this list and their willingness to help.

TxFlowers, what city do you live in? I have a son and family that just moved to Kirbyville, Tx and they say they are aabout an
Hr. north of Houston, or maybe that was Beaumont. ....

@cressrb -
hugs.gif
I am sure that was very difficult for you, but I commend you on your integrity and willingness to learn. If you were closer, I would give you a cockerel to replace him.

TxFlowers, what city do you live in? I have a son and family that just moved to Kirbyville, Tx and they say they are aabout an
Hr. north of Houston, or maybe that was Beaumont. ....

I am actually in Livingston which is straight up North from Houston. I do sell eggs and ship chicks and started birds but I sure didn't want to say that in what I was saying about GFF as it might seem like I was trying to sell birds. This is not what this is about.

btw I bred and showed rottweilers for over 25 yrs. Like you, I developed an eye for quality and it has carried over into whatever else I raise, chickens included :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom