Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Just wanted to add a couple new pics of my kiddos from over the weekend. I think Thor's legs are turning from a flesh to a mottled kind of color. Freja is starting to get some blue in her hackles though I don't think any of the pics really show it. Anyways just showing off my loves!

@SHERRING7712 Your boy is looking handsome.
smile.png

I ended up with 4 boys and 4 girls. Think I might have reported 5 & 3 previously, but the ambiguous one is getting more color on his comb now. They are just starting to get some nice color.

I am having the hardest time deciding who I will keep as breeders. All are nice looking with different feather patterns and friendly enough to approach. 1 of the boys comes running to me with happy peeps and hangs out on my lap/shoulder for a good while. I really like him so far. He is crested and comb is wavy. At what age would I be able to spot comb spurs? And do DQ's other than attitude continue to develop as they age?

As I get closer to choosing I will post pics.... still figuring out all this computerizing stuff. I usually make the kid or hubby do it.
tongue.png

Thanks for input.

@SHERRING7712 Your boy is looking handsome.
smile.png

I ended up with 4 boys and 4 girls. Think I might have reported 5 & 3 previously, but the ambiguous one is getting more color on his comb now. They are just starting to get some nice color.

I am having the hardest time deciding who I will keep as breeders. All are nice looking with different feather patterns and friendly enough to approach. 1 of the boys comes running to me with happy peeps and hangs out on my lap/shoulder for a good while. I really like him so far. He is crested and comb is wavy. At what age would I be able to spot comb spurs? And do DQ's other than attitude continue to develop as they age?

As I get closer to choosing I will post pics.... still figuring out all this computerizing stuff. I usually make the kid or hubby do it.
tongue.png

Thanks for input.
Thanks for the compliments. I am still a newbie though so I will have to defer your questions to someone with way more knowledge than I!
tongue.png
I am trying to improve my knowledge of the breeds I have but with working 60 hours a week and taking care of the animals it hasn't left room for a lot of time to read. I did print out a bunch of articles and put them in a binder that I keep in the car so I can read during lunch or the dmv or what-have-you. Hopefully I will gain at least a little knowledge.

Thanks for the compliments. I am still a newbie though so I will have to defer your questions to someone with way more knowledge than I!
tongue.png
I am trying to improve my knowledge of the breeds I have but with working 60 hours a week and taking care of the animals it hasn't left room for a lot of time to read. I did print out a bunch of articles and put them in a binder that I keep in the car so I can read during lunch or the dmv or what-have-you. Hopefully I will gain at least a little knowledge.
Wow you are busy!

I guess I kinda meant the questions to be for all thread readers to respond, but I can tell that isn't clear in my post. Anyways, time is so valuable, thanks for replying.

Love that you print stuff to take with you. It's a far more rewarding and productive thing to do than participating in office politics or gossip!
highfive.gif

The main things to watch for that are defects you don't want to breed in are side sprigs (on the comb) and split wing(missing flight feather). I judge for split wing at 6 to 8 months. I judge for sprigs as early as 8 weeks and up until they are laying age and even keep an eye past that for anything that may pop up. You want yellow legs, some mottling is ok, flesh color is ok, white/black/blue/green legs are not ok.

Watch for good personalities and pics out birds that have the ability to be good layers and also be broad enough to be worth raising for meat. Narrow bodied and pinched tails are removed from my breeders here as they won't grow enough meat to be worth butchering and pinched tails usually indicate poor layers due to the duct being narrow.

Wow you are busy!

I guess I kinda meant the questions to be for all thread readers to respond, but I can tell that isn't clear in my post. Anyways, time is so valuable, thanks for replying.

Love that you print stuff to take with you. It's a far more rewarding and productive thing to do than participating in office politics or gossip!
highfive.gif
yes learning more about my animals is sooo much more rewarding than all the office politics and gossip! Well off work now, time for the commute.

Back
Top Bottom