Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I live in the mountains of nc very bushy and out in the sticks. See we had a outside dog but we figured he needed a better life inside a home and it wasn't a day later it happen. I haven't a clue as to time I let my older flock of 12 out all day everyday and not a one of them went missing, but they were all there that morning cause I feed them twice a day. I noticed my young welsummer was acting all anxious running fence back and forth.

Anyway I've been looking on CL and local sites that do poultry and haven't found anything. I also do not have or use Facebook , As far as how I'll get rid of a predator well that'll be between me and my boom sticks unless it's a pet I catch then I'll take it to the owner and let them know the deal.

Thanks for all y'alls advice its much appreciated.
We have the same basic environment. Surrounded by nature.
yesss.gif
barnie.gif

So, in the sticks means someone wasn't just walking by and grabbed them, if I'm picturing it correctly. If stolen, someone would have had to drive out of their way to do it? So was it at your second feeding when you noticed they were missing? Were you home between feedings? Either way, this did not when they were in a secure coop. so at least you are still safe there.

Hate how that timing thing works. The day before our safe was delivered, had our house burglarized for about 10g worth of stuff including lead spitters.
somad.gif
While I was gone to the dog park at 10 am!

I actually don't do or have facebook either.
idunno.gif
Not my thing.

I have my own body shop so I'm pretty busy it's a 20min drive to work I hardly ever come home until the day is done. It just for lack of a better word pisses me off they might not have been the most valuable chickens I've raised from chicks but they were my favorite by far and the only ones we named and were if I say so myself good looking sfh and pretty har to come by around these parts.

If anybody as any young adults forsale let me know.

Last edited:
I have my own body shop so I'm pretty busy it's a 20min drive to work I hardly ever come home until the day is done. It just for lack of a better word pisses me off they might not have been the most valuable chickens I've raised from chicks but they were my favorite by far and the only ones we named and were if I say so myself good looking sfh and pretty har to come by around these parts.

If anybody as any young adults forsale let me know.

I have a bunch of chicks, plenty of cockerels and a few pullets. I'm in TN, east of Nashville. PM me if you are interested.

Wow! Sorry to hear that.

So I'm guessing you actually mean saw him with your bird in his mouth, not just in the neighborhood? Fox do like chicken.

I was in the back doing nothing in particular. The girls were out and some had gone through the fence. Here comes a pullet flying through the fence with a coyote in hot pursuit not 8 feet from where I was standing. That was the day I realized it was not aliens getting my chickens.

Hi, I just got my first 2 SFH chicks! So excited to see what they are going to look like when they are grown. Does anyone know if they can be feather sexed?

Many have tried feather sexing this breed and it doesn't work for Swedish. Swedish Cockerels do tend to color in differently than pullets so before you are able to tell by comb, the color can be a clue but it will take experience raising up a few to be able to learn to use this to help.

Last edited:
Many have tried feather sexing this breed and it doesn't work for Swedish. Swedish Cockerels do tend to color in differently than pullets so before you are able to tell by comb, the color can be a clue but it will take experience raising up a few to be able to learn to use this to help.
Bummer, my hopes were rising. My chicks are about a week old now and their wing and tail feathers are coming in. I was hoping the fact that their tail feathers are coming in so early meant they were pullets.

Bummer, my hopes were rising. My chicks are about a week old now and their wing and tail feathers are coming in. I was hoping the fact that their tail feathers are coming in so early meant they were pullets.

I know that I tried it but only a few times. Others have been more serious about it and reported it didn't work on this breed. Certainly you can make some guesses and write it down and see what happens but at best it seems results would be inconsistent.

One thing I can tell you is that every single time I had one, no matter what breed, where the tail stayed short for a long time, was ALWAYS male.

But most of the males did not have that, and for me would be a characteristic I will select against in my breeding program. 2 out of 3 Buff Brahma I have I can identify by the really short and often held high tail. Those ones usually have slower shoulder feathering as well. It was the female with lighter, less red feathering on the shoulders that had to do a time out yesterday for serious bullying at only 3 weeks old. She was chasing the others around and wouldn't let go. If they got loose she would chase the same one down and hold on again.
somad.gif
She might be the first girl on the menu.

I have not tried feather sexing. These are just my personal observations.

I do find writing thing down very beneficial. It makes it easier to know whats what. I have DOB, origin, any treatments, observations including gender suspicion, first crow/song, pecking order location... Way to many thing to try and remember when choosing breeders! And I guess I am detail oriented.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom