Swing in the run

I don't think chickens care about swinging, so any type of perch in the run would work. A scrap 2x4 is a lot cheaper than a swing.

That is true. Although I was thinking of taking a decent branch from a downed tree in my area and using that as the swing. I just need to add the chain and what not.

My ladies have had this swing in the run since they first moved outside at about 5 weeks. It might be time for a larger one soon. I still see them use it sometimes. Super easy to make. I used my busted laundry line and a tree branch.

Although, for chicken recreational activities.... mine really love their little 'pond' the most

Last edited:
Hmmm, let's see if I have a picture of my chickens jest-a-swingin'.....

This is the roost that swings. The chains attaching it to the sides of the run are short, so it doesn't get moving wildly. This was taken of last year's chicks when they were a couple months old. They still prefer it and taught this year's chicks to use it too.

The playground part of the run. The roost on the right is fixed, the one on the left swings. And of course they love that half a hollowed log. The Bigs sit on top of it, and when the Littles get spooked or chased they run and hide under it. There is also an old corner wrought iron shelf taken from a blown down gazebo attached in the corner. They love that too. There is also a dirt bath in there. We have since extended the run, and the roosts switched positions. They immediately went to the swinging one even though it was suddenly on the opposite side.

Hmmm, let's see if I have a picture of my chickens jest-a-swingin'.....

This is the roost that swings. The chains attaching it to the sides of the run are short, so it doesn't get moving wildly. This was taken of last year's chicks when they were a couple months old. They still prefer it and taught this year's chicks to use it too.

The playground part of the run. The roost on the right is fixed, the one on the left swings. And of course they love that half a hollowed log. The Bigs sit on top of it, and when the Littles get spooked or chased they run and hide under it. There is also an old corner wrought iron shelf taken from a blown down gazebo attached in the corner. They love that too. There is also a dirt bath in there. We have since extended the run, and the roosts switched positions. They immediately went to the swinging one even though it was suddenly on the opposite side.

That looks awesome!

Thanks! They sure spend a lot of time on it. I think they also like it because it has variations in width and it's shaped like an elongated "V" so they get to walk up and down on it as well as back and forth. This shot shows that more clearly.

My husband made 2 swings for our coop today! Can't wait til they use it on their own:)

We have plenty of scrap wood & rope. We'll be adding a swing for our new chickies. Anything to enhance their environment has to be a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom