Swollen Quail thigh

He's been eating this food called leach grain, A.P Mash. He does eat but only a little bit and has been drinking water. He is still very active and trys to play with the dirt.
Do you have the nutrition information on that? I just looked it up online and it doesn't say. This seems suspect to me and I'm beginning to think that he's not getting the nutrition he needs.
1687478812169.png

His
That really looks like he caught his foot in something and then injured the leg trying to get out. Take this with a large grain of salt since I'm not a vet and am only working off of pictures.

At this point, it's important that he have rest, quiet, and get plenty to eat and drink. I would start with some Nutri-Drench in his water, and if he's not eating his regular feed, try some boiled egg yolk that you've crushed up for him.

What are you feeding him normally? The way his toes are twisted could be injury, but I've also seen that sort of thing with malnutrition.

Do you have the nutrition information on that? I just looked it up online and it doesn't say. This seems suspect to me and I'm beginning to think that he's not getting the nutrition he needs.
View attachment 3552378
Do you mean this? Cause in the bag it doesn't show. I only get it since this is the food their used too and it's the only food they have in my pet shop. What food do you recommend for quails?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622_171222_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230622_171222_Chrome.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 4
His

Do you mean this? Cause in the bag it doesn't show. I only get it since this is the food their used too and it's the only food they have in my pet shop. What food do you recommend for quails?
Yeah. I don't think that's made for game birds. That looks like chicken feed. It should be at least 2% higher in protein. Can you get or order game bird maintenance feed? You can probably get away with using turkey feed.

This might be part of the problem with your quail, or at least affecting his recovery. In the meantime, you can increase his protein intake with some insects. I would recommend black soldier fly larvae. You can add mealworms, but they're pretty high in fat, so don't go overboard on them.

Yeah. I don't think that's made for game birds. That looks like chicken feed. It should be at least 2% higher in protein. Can you get or order game bird maintenance feed? You can probably get away with using turkey feed.

This might be part of the problem with your quail, or at least affecting his recovery. In the meantime, you can increase his protein intake with some insects. I would recommend black soldier fly larvae. You can add mealworms, but they're pretty high in fat, so don't go overboard on them.
Oh okay thank you

His

I never buy these tiny bags but the larger bags have been sold out for 2 days in a row at my store and I really needed some feed for the quail I'm hatching today.

PXL_20230623_005127848.jpg
PXL_20230623_005131705.jpg
PXL_20230623_005239056.jpg
PXL_20230623_005245739.jpg

He's been eating this food called leach grain, A.P Mash. He does eat but only a little bit and has been drinking water. He is still very active and trys to play with the dirt.
I'm not familiar with this feed but apparently it's only sold in Arizona and California.
You are in one of these states... I can find you a better feed.

HELP
I have a quail how just randomly started walking with one leg. His thigh that connects to his leg is swollen and purple. He has only eaten a little bit but when he puts pressure on his injuryed leg he starts to go crazy in pain. Please help I'm very attached to his bird and I don't want to lose it.
Update,
He been doing good, he's been drinking a lot of water and he has eaten about half a handful food. He active and shows no signs of death but knowing quails it can happen all of a sudden l.

Back
Top Bottom