Swollen Quail thigh

Dilpickel

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
HELP
I have a quail how just randomly started walking with one leg. His thigh that connects to his leg is swollen and purple. He has only eaten a little bit but when he puts pressure on his injuryed leg he starts to go crazy in pain. Please help I'm very attached to his bird and I don't want to lose it.

@Dilpickel
Can you post pictures?
Start by isolating him. I would bring him inside and put him in a small brooder with food and water right next to him. If he hasn't been eating, you might try adding some Nutri-Drench to his water.

Is a vet an option? Without pictures I don't really have any idea what is wrong, but it sounds like an injury, possibly a broken leg.

@Dilpickel
Can you post pictures?
Start by isolating him. I would bring him inside and put him in a small brooder with food and water right next to him. If he hasn't been eating, you might try adding some Nutri-Drench to his water.

Is a vet an option? Without pictures I don't really have any idea what is wrong, but it sounds like an injury, possibly a broken leg.
Her are some photos
He has been drinking water, he has also eaten but only a little bit. I have put him in a container.
Vet is not a option has my local veteran doesn't help small birds.

Attachments

• 20230622_162654.jpg
    20230622_162654.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230622_162720.jpg
    20230622_162720.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230622_162734.jpg
    20230622_162734.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 6
Exactly where on the body is this area?
It's impossible to tell from the picture.

Can you put the quail down and point to exactly where that area is and get a picture of you pointing to the spot?

Screenshot_20230622-183327.png

That really looks like he caught his foot in something and then injured the leg trying to get out. Take this with a large grain of salt since I'm not a vet and am only working off of pictures.

At this point, it's important that he have rest, quiet, and get plenty to eat and drink. I would start with some Nutri-Drench in his water, and if he's not eating his regular feed, try some boiled egg yolk that you've crushed up for him.

What are you feeding him normally? The way his toes are twisted could be injury, but I've also seen that sort of thing with malnutrition.

Exactly where on the body is this area?
It's impossible to tell from the picture.

Can you put the quail down and point to exactly where that area is and get a picture of you pointing to the spot?

View attachment 3552328
It is under the wing, where the leg comes in to the body, aka the thigh

Attachments

• 20230622_165809.jpg
    20230622_165809.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 4
That really looks like he caught his foot in something and then injured the leg trying to get out. Take this with a large grain of salt since I'm not a vet and am only working off of pictures.

At this point, it's important that he have rest, quiet, and get plenty to eat and drink. I would start with some Nutri-Drench in his water, and if he's not eating his regular feed, try some boiled egg yolk that you've crushed up for him.

What are you feeding him normally? The way his toes are twisted could be injury, but I've also seen that sort of thing with malnutrition.
He's been eating this food called leach grain, A.P Mash. He does eat but only a little bit and has been drinking water. He is still very active and trys to play with the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom