Tagging chicks/chickens and why?

dkluzier

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Hustontown - Fulton County
At what age do you tag your chicks and/or chickens and the reason, please? I saw some day old chicks for sale on CraigsList with blue plastic tags on their ankles and was wondering why? Thanks....

I've never tagged mine but I'm sure there are several reasons that you could. If you are hatching several different breeds for example, it would help to identify which were which. Also if you were doing staggered hatchings a few days apart, you'd know which were from which hatch. Just a couple reasons I can see off the top of my head. Sounds like this person is very organized.

Quote:
Usually it is because they were vent sexed. You mark all the males (or all the females). You might also mark them in order to know who they hatched from--important for breeders.

Well the only reason why I put colored ties on my chicks is to recognize them. I can still recognize them without them, but I've done that since I started raising chickens and now I just tend to "tag" them
smile.png

I color tag mine so I know which hatch and thus which breeder/lines they came from. I have a lot of black hens! a couple of them I can tell right away by their feathering or other distinguishing characteristics, but when I'm hatching them, they all look alike til I get to know them!

I breed butterscotch booted bantams, i tage for breeding, so you can keep track who is with who and the chicks, make the paper work easier

Last edited:
I am going to tag mine when they are 18 weeks old because their are some roos that will be leaving and by that time I will be dividing them in to two groups the BOs and BAs. I am tagging so I can keep up with which one is sick or is broody and to just know who they are.

Back
Top Bottom