Taking eggs to the Philippines - am I nuts?

You will be at a litttle disadvantage, as you will not know how long she has sat already.
Pick a broody with only a few eggs under her- and give her enough eggs so she quits adding to the mix.
Mark the imported eggs with a pencil and trash any additional eggs she adds to the nest.
If the clutch gets too big you will lose some that get pushed out from under the hen- and you want to maximize her efforts on hatching the imported eggs, not her own.
Even if you only get a couple of chicks to hatck, you will have added genetic diversity to your local flock.

Well oz as others here have called u I have been reading this thread with great interest as u are not the only crazy fowl around, I too am going to pursue the grand experiment , as yourself I too am a expat working and living in costa rica we my wife and I maintain a small back yard flock of mutts and some newly added ISA brown pullets of 18 weeks of age around 25 birds in total but the birds I was raised around as a kid growing up just are not available here so with great reserve I ordered a hova-bator 1602n with fan and am setting out on my quest I will be buying buckeye reds (lay strain) from Ohio and Hampshire and white rocks for a hybrid project later down the road the 25 th of this month will be stateside for pick up of eggs and bator will try a man purse as a egg tote for my carry on hope to get the eggs through down here think I can pull it off if I move to the tax counter right away and offer to pay the excise on the bator they generally are only after the cash I too have flown with crazy stuff from seeds to cases of frozen Jimmy dean sausage luvs me sum biscuits and gravy so this is the month all my research emails to breeders will be put into to action

Hey chicken king, have you done the USDA paperwork for the importation to CR?
I am planning to eventually take eggs to CR of breeds not available there.
There are a couple more members here in CR.

No I will not even put forth the effort the government is extremely slow and corrupt here I have been waiting for my citizenship after submission of all paperwork for five years I came down with my job in march 05 and after the presidential election here all new ministers in the offices it a total waste of time, here in the sjo airport the screening is quite lax I have brought very unique items in over the years ( nothing illegal ) of course and have only been stopped twice on hundreds of entry's I fly the route 5 or 6 times a year They are only concerned with duty on high end goods it seems so I'm gonna carry 4 dozen and the bator and a suitcase of fishing gear just bypass the luggage scanner a X-ray and proceed with my bator and reciipt to offer to pay duty and should breeze on through with the eggs around my shoulder

No I will not even put forth the effort the government is extremely slow and corrupt here I have been waiting for my citizenship after submission of all paperwork for five years I came down with my job in march 05 and after the presidential election here all new ministers in the offices it a total waste of time, here in the sjo airport the screening is quite lax I have brought very unique items in over the years ( nothing illegal ) of course and have only been stopped twice on hundreds of entry's I fly the route 5 or 6 times a year They are only concerned with duty on high end goods it seems so I'm gonna carry 4 dozen and the bator and a suitcase of fishing gear just bypass the luggage scanner a X-ray and proceed with my bator and reciipt to offer to pay duty and should breeze on through with the eggs around my shoulder

the whole story of how I did it is in the other thread in my signature.

TSA when leaving country does not ask for USDA paperwork. It may be required at other end - that is your decision.

I hope to have many heritage breeding flocks established in the next few years I have been networking in the ag circle for several years so I can lend ya hand when u relocate

So I have read u were my final insparation to give it a go 280 is a ton in a carry on I was just thinking about 4 doz this trip as I have a ton of fishing gear and some harley parts and the bator

Back
Top Bottom