Taste of Duck Eggs

Great post. I spent many morning wondering why I was so tired after eating a three egg omelet where one or two eggs where from Duck. Once I cut the duck egg out I was fine again. I have never been allergic to anything before. Thanks again

Where do you buy duck/chicken food without fish? Our eggs have a slightly fishy taste that is really unpleasant. The food we use is a poultry blend. My husband doesn't think our Tractor Supply store has a no-fish duck food.

I buy duck food from a few different sources. There is no TSC near me, but there is an old-fashioned hardware store that carries feed, a mostly-horses store that carries poultry feed, and another more modern hardware store that carries poultry feed . . .

The brands that I use now actually do contain fish meal - that said, there is no fishy taste to the eggs.

At the same time, each person's ability to taste things is different. It's in our genes, so I cannot guarantee you won't taste fish if you use New Country Organics no-corn, no-soy layer feed or Mazuri Waterfowl Breeder. But that's what I use.

I have used Blue Seal organic layer feed, and that does not contain fish meal.

Didn't want to start a new thread. I have a Black Swedish that's been laying eggs since the beginning of October. She's laid healthy eggs that really don't taste much different from chicken eggs. We've finally removed the divider between our 4 four month-old new girls (2 Cayuga, 2 WH) to the original BS lady and 2 drakes that are about 5 months older and everyone seems to get along fine. To my knowledge, the young four haven't started laying yet, but I could be wrong. We pulled two eggs out of the house yesterday, and that has happened about once a week since she started laying.

This morning my fiancée made some scrambled eggs that are normally just like chicken eggs. Not so much today. None of them are over a week old. They have a strong smell and a soft texture. We've been leaving them out next to the sink to wipe off lately, so they haven't been getting into the fridge as quickly as normal (day or so later). Could these be new eggs from other ducks? A cooking issue? We don't put milk in them because they become gritty. It's been raining a ton here lately. The only thing I could think of was too much or not enough of something, unless the new ones have started to lay. The eggs are the same size and color as the others from her. I think the strong smell is what's really throwing us off. Thanks for any help!

I wondered how many of you out there actually eat your duck eggs, or if you prefer the taste of the chicken eggs?  I am mildly allergic (gives me the itchies) to chicken eggs, so I can eat them, but not much and not often. 

I am sick of doing egg replacers and heard that duck eggs bake up nicely, but what about a fried or scrambled egg?  Do they taste good deviled?  I hear that duck eggs can be rubbery, is that true?  Because of a higher protein content?

Out of all the duck breeds, I like the "pretty ones" like blue swedish, but a breeder told me that Pekin ducks were best for production and flavor.  I thought I'd ask you all--which breed's eggs taste best cooked on their own?

Good Afternoon we have both Peking, Blue and Black Swedish ducks. We do eat the eggs. We love to bake with them...in the recipe use 1 duck for every 2 chicken. Duck eggs have a higher vitamin D then chicken. Yolks are richer than chicken, so I recommend eating them scrambled the 1st time. Also use water instead of milk. pm me for more info...
1f606.png

Didn't want to start a new thread. I have a Black Swedish that's been laying eggs since the beginning of October. She's laid healthy eggs that really don't taste much different from chicken eggs. We've finally removed the divider between our 4 four month-old new girls (2 Cayuga, 2 WH) to the original BS lady and 2 drakes that are about 5 months older and everyone seems to get along fine. To my knowledge, the young four haven't started laying yet, but I could be wrong. We pulled two eggs out of the house yesterday, and that has happened about once a week since she started laying.

This morning my fiancée made some scrambled eggs that are normally just like chicken eggs. Not so much today. None of them are over a week old. They have a strong smell and a soft texture. We've been leaving them out next to the sink to wipe off lately, so they haven't been getting into the fridge as quickly as normal (day or so later). Could these be new eggs from other ducks? A cooking issue? We don't put milk in them because they become gritty. It's been raining a ton here lately. The only thing I could think of was too much or not enough of something, unless the new ones have started to lay. The eggs are the same size and color as the others from her. I think the strong smell is what's really throwing us off. Thanks for any help!

The smell you mentioned makes me wonder if your BS is eating something new, too - does she have access to range outside? Is the flavor different, too, or just the smell and texture?

Smell, taste, and texture. Most notable was the smell, then the texture. Taste was just slightly off, but they may have been a mental thing because of the smell.

It has been raining a LOT. So much so that I haven't gotten an egg in the past 2 days (rare), probably from lack of sunlight. Maybe the rain has done something. More mud and sludge intake? Could it be a drinking water thing? Before, when it was only 3 of them drinking from a bucket, I could refill it once or twice without having to empty and rinse completely (unless one jumped inside to bathe.) Now, with 7 of them drinking from two buckets the water seems to get nasty much quicker, and I try to prolong it two 2 refills before dumping it out (hate to waste water, running out of different places in the yard to dump it). I changed their food over a month ago from Dumor to the Layena pellets because I thought it would be better for them, but I would think a taste change would come sooner. They were almost done with the 50 lb bag before these weird tasters came out.

Back
Top Bottom