Taste of Duck Eggs

I have eaten our call duck eggs in the spring when they were laying a lot of eggs. They taste the same to me and my daughter who is pickier about flavors, and the only difference I found was when I made deviled eggs, the whites came off in layers. So I wouldnt use them for that.

I prefer duck eggs. I find them to be more rich and have more flavour than chicken eggs.
They are also better for baking, the larger richer yolks make for a more moist cake.
Duck eggs are also more healthy for you, containing more nutrients and slightly more protein than chicken eggs. More importantly they are one of the few foods that leave our body in an alkaline state - cancer cells need an acidic environment to grow

I can tell they are richer in taste, but they smell. All eggs smell when cracked some more than others. My Pekin duck eggs are really strong! I have to wash my hands several times before the smell goes away.

Got eggs!

Fried one up today. I had it over easy with runny yolk. It tasted pretty much like a chicken egg. There was a slight difference, and it had a... fresher? taste. But, we always bought store-bought chicken eggs, and our ducks are fed an organic feed, so... I'm sure that plays a big role. That was also the first egg we got, so who knows.

Later tonight, I'll be baking some brownies, and we'll be putting the duck eggs in there instead of chicken eggs.

We got ducks thinking that we would eat the eggs but the taste is repulsive way to rich and sweet. Really changes the taste of things we have a runner and a Rouen. Well we are stuck with the adorable animals but the eggs will have to be given away

We got ducks thinking that we would eat the eggs but the taste is repulsive way to rich and sweet. Really changes the taste of things we have a runner and a Rouen. Well we are stuck with the adorable animals but the eggs will have to be given away

I'm wondering if you are having a problem with the way you are cooking the eggs. Try using the eggs for baking only. In a cake or other baked dish, I think duck eggs are the best.

Try boiling the eggs and making egg salad - you'll need less mayo. Omelets are good, too, as the duck eggs stand up to stronger tasting ingredients like onions, kale, and bacon. I use them making salmon patties.

I guess I am not one to advise, because I like duck eggs any way they are prepared, with or without other ingredients.

Glad you love your duckies, and glad you are willing to share. Perhaps you could trade with someone who gardens or who has chickens.

I adore the taste of my duck eggs! I have never had a problem eating chicken eggs, and still don't. After my ducks started laying I was eating them all the time, and then started having stomach aches. Now, I have to be really careful about eating them, which makes me crazy. If I eat too many in tuna salad, I will have a horrible stomach ache all night. But, it seems to be okay when I bake with them, at least so far. It is just too disappointing for words!

As for the mallard eggs that tasted terrible, that is most likely because she was a wild duck that ate fish and dabbled in the mud at the bottom of a pond. That would make her eggs taste bad. Poultry that are fed fish meal also lay horrible tasting eggs. But, if you raise ducks and are feeding them grain-based feeds, their eggs should taste fine.

Duck eggs contain twice as much potassium and Vitamin A, three times as much iron, and five times as much Vitamin B12.
They also are higher in these nutrients: protein, calcium, magnesium, phosporus, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, thiamin, niacin, Vitamin B6, folate, and retinol. They contain twice the amount of monounsaturated fatty acids which lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) .
Their cholesterol content is higher; approximately twice that of chicken eggs.
They have more albumin (protein) which gives them more structure - more fluffiness in baking.
Free range eggs have significantly higher vitamins and Omega 3 fatty acids while less fat and cholesterol.
Many people who are allergic to chicken eggs are able to eat duck eggs without allergic reactions due to different proteins.
That being said, there are a few who can be allergic to the proteins in duck eggs but not chicken eggs.
Because of their higher protein and cholesterol content, their taste is richer - gamey if their diet is higher in proteins from worms, bugs or fish. Due to the higher albumin content, overcooking them can make them VERY firm, almost rubbery, especially in fried or hard boiled eggs. However, after eating my ducks eggs, chicken eggs taste anemic. The taste is well worth the extra care making egg sandwiches. www.lsshaftsfarm.com
Sources: local harvest.org; buzzle.com; itdfarm.com; 101sweetpastry.com; Wikipedia.org; newagrarian.com

Back
Top Bottom