Technical coop building question.

Pics
Ahh..couldn't see that board doesn't go all the way to far wall.

Raising pop door is good even if you don't use deep litter.

Don't think you need an angled board over the nests,
it's usually to keep them from standing on top of nests for whatever reason,
and thus pooping on/in them.

Door way barriers will be easy, just use 2 screws for easy removal when needed.

Hope you girl feels better real soon, hard to see them down like that.

It is looking good. You put a lot more into yours than I did mine. And, yes, you will be working on it for a while. Not so much of things you forget but things might not work exactly as planned. I still occasionally make changes to mine. Just do the best you reasonably can and be flexible when you need to be.

How big is that opening between the ramp and the pop door? If it’s so tight you are concerned about a chicken getting a claw stuck (which I would not think about) is it easier to make it a bit bigger instead of trying to totally eliminate it? Maybe with a sander?

You are probably right that you don’t need to worry about poop getting into the nests from above. Many people use totally open-topped nests as long as the chickens do not roost over them or on their sides. Looking at the bottom photo, you won’t have that problem.

How big is that opening between the ramp and the pop door? If it’s so tight you are concerned about a chicken getting a claw stuck (which I would not think about) is it easier to make it a bit bigger instead of trying to totally eliminate it? Maybe with a sander?
Thanks! Ill try to get a picture. My DH put up the ramp while I wasn't home. I would have done it differently but I don't want to complain because he is helping me. Its a big gap like probably an inch at least. He used eye hooks so we could remove the ramp once in a while for thorough cleaning but they stick out. I think Ill just attach another piece of striping like the ones I used so the chickens wont slip down the ramp. Im going out now because hooray hooray its in the 50's!!!! Im going to do odd things and maybe get some painting done! Ill post a pic later. Thanks for all the help
hugs.gif

Yesterday the weather was decent so I went out and painted the entire underside of the roof, poop boards, roosts, nesting boxes, two windows, coop doors and people door to the run! Why did I only take two pictures :(. Anyway the outside of my coop is kinda boring in color. Wanted to make it not so crazy looking for neighbors and yes I admit my DH also wanted something boring. I wanted to paint it a bunch of pretty colors but you can't win all the battles. Anyway the inside will have color! I started with this bright blue color and I have plans for more color for the inside.

@aartSo are you saying my light colors are good? I thought they were "happy" colors so that was my motivation. Are you thinking more light longer laying period?

Last edited:
@aart So are you saying my light colors are good? I thought they were "happy" colors so that was my motivation. Are you thinking more light longer laying period?
Yes, good.
Not longer laying period, that takes longer hours of light using artificial lighting.
Will just be easier to see inside with the lighter colored paint reflecting the natural light coming in thru windows.
Might not matter unless you are looking in thru the windows yourself instead of opening the huge door which will provide lots of light.
Not sure if certain colors make chickens happier, like they are purported to affect humans.<shrug>

As sometimes happens, even with Aart, I have a different opinion. I personally prefer a darker coop. I think it calms the chickens. One possible cause of aggression in a brooder is that it is too bright. Lots and lots of people have bright coops and brooders and don’t have a problem with aggression, it’s just one of those many things that might have an effect. We all have our personal preferences. I don’t know if bright or dark really makes a difference, it’s just that I prefer dark.

Merrymouse, I don’t know how fanatical you are going to be about keeping the inside of your coop spotless. Chickens poop. Some colors are better at hiding that, some colors stain and show really well. If you think you may be in the “gotta keep it spotless” group you might consider coating that with some type of polyurethane or such what will better withstand heavy scrubbing and strong cleaners.

I think that is a very attractive coop, I don’t see how neighbors can complain about that at all. While it is on your property and you can do whatever you want with it unless there are HOA rules to the contrary, I think it is courteous of you to consider your neighbors.

Actually, I prefer darker too...and hate to paint...but I also like to be able to see, the older I get the more light I need, haha!
Just thought a small coop like that, with just a couple windows, might benefit from some 'lightness'.
Don't think the chickens care one way or another...but do agree that glaring brightness would not benefit them.

Back
Top Bottom