Temp and Humidity Help!

peacockfeather

Songster
6 Years
May 29, 2014
Hello all! So, I am currently on day 20 of incubation. On day 18, I candled to find there was movement and all seemed well before lock down. I figured I would check the humidity with a digital thermometer/humidity combo instrument since I thought it may be too humid (as I have had rather humid weather lately). The water pans are filled and the humidity is reading roughly 53%. However, the thermometer I have constantly in the incubator (not digital) is reading 99.5 degrees while the digital is only reading 97 degrees! Should I be worried about this discrepancy right now? I'm tempted to raise the temp a little more, but if the digital is reading wrong, I could set the temp too high. I have not heard peeping at all yet and am already suspecting this hatch will be a day late at least. Does anyone have any advice? Please help!

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the digital thermometer/humidity reader is just registering low in both areas. Since the pans are filled, it's odd that the humidity is only 53%.

For starters, most digital thermometers are not very accurate. Most come with a margin of error +- 2 degrees. However, if you are looking for a dependable digital thermometer I recommend a Brinsea Spot Check (+-.2 degrees margin of error). In this case, your glass thermometer is probably more accurate. For future hatches, consider a dependable incubator thermometer - it saves a lot of worry!

Second, is your incubator still air? If so, both readings are far too low. The temperature for a still air incubator should range from 101-102. If you have a forced air incubator, your reading of 99.5 is great! Given that you are on day 20, it's a little to late to alter the temperature now.

Third, your humidity isn't too bad. I normally aim for around 65%, and it will increase as chicks hatch. To raise your humidity by 10%, you may add a wet sponge to the incubator.

Lastly, your ventilation holes should be open. Chicks in this stage require more oxygen than throughout the entire incubation process, and they have to receive their oxygen through the pores of the egg. For this reason, make sure that there is adequate fresh air getting into the incubator. Some members close ventilation in an attempt to raise humidity, that is not a good idea close to hatch as it may cause death to chicks even before they begin to break the egg.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your response! :) I was using my glass thermometer as my primary reading anyway, but the digital reading made me a bit worried. I do have still air (which says to have the temp at 99.5 and I have had multiple successful hatches without any issues at this temp, so I'm hoping it will be alright again this time around. Although I just read somewhere else recently that 101-102 is better for still air, which I never knew!). I've managed to increase the humidity to about 61 percent now. Both of the vents have been open since lock down. Thank you again!

I never trust any thermometer unless it's calibrated. Any of them can be off. Medical thermometers have been calibrated but with the new technology in taking human temperatures it may be hard to find one that will work, but if you can put both thermometers in warm water you can see if they are both reading the same. I would not adjust the temperature in that incubator unless I knew what I was working with.

I'm not sure how accurate your hygrometer is either, those can be off quite a bit also. There are ways to calibrate them but I've never done it. I probably would not change anything there at this point, but raising it a bit would not hurt.

Warm air rises. In a forced air where the fan is stirring up the air it doesn't matter where you take the temperature. But with a still air where you take the temperature is very important. The general recommendation is 101.5 F at the top of the eggs. Using the same thermometer try taking the temperature at different elevations, you'll see what I'm talking about.

At this stage changing the temperature in there should not make any difference to the timing of the hatch, though you certainly do not want to cook them. Heating them up too much would be bad.

There are several different things that influence whether an egg hatches early or late. Temperature is one of the most important of these though it is not the only one. If your average incubating temperature has been a bit low it is quite possible your hatch can be two full days late and you still get a great hatch. I know it is hard, we've been there, but try to be patient.

Thank you all for the advice! I rised the humidity and little bit. One chick has hatched on time and another is pipping. All seems well!

Back
Top Bottom