Tennessee Red Quail pictures

I don't suppose you know where I could "hear" a crow. A link perhaps? I have what I suspect to be a Tennessee red but its sex I do not know, and I heard you can tell by the crow. It chirps all the time starting at 5am and has a longer song it sings infrequently. Also if you know is the 5 am wake up call just seasonal? As you can tell I'm not accustom to quail at all.

I don't suppose you know where I could "hear" a crow. A link perhaps? I have what I suspect to be a Tennessee red but its sex I do not know, and I heard you can tell by the crow. It chirps all the time starting at 5am and has a longer song it sings infrequently. Also if you know is the 5 am wake up call just seasonal? As you can tell I'm not accustom to quail at all.
Here are some Tennessee Reds milling around and making "contact" noises...

Here is the call of a male Northern Bobwhite, as I was unable to find a male Red Tennessee calling, however both of these breeds sound very similar...

The only way to sex them is vent sexing. There will be no foam, but with a gentle squeeze you can see the male genitals, if he is a male. If this is an adult male, he will start calling, like the bird in the second video, at the crack of dawn, calling for a female. Males are incredibly loud. If this bird is a female, the calls will be much quieter and only a hint of the "bob bob white" in its calling. Males and females will call for mates year round until they find a mate, at which they will never call like this again.

what exactly are Tennessee Reds? Are they a cross with Biobwhites and Coutinex?? I hatched some Tenn. Red eggs, and they hatched in 16 days.. Far as I know, only Courtinex hatch this soon.. anyone know the real deal on the Reds??

Tennessee Reds are sub species of the Northern Bobwhite....like the Texas Bobwhite, Florida Bobwhite, Plains Bobwhite, Masked Bobwhite and so on... :)

Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much this helps. Yes he is making the sound from the 2nd video. My son loves the bird, but HE (the bird) is too loud for where we live. It would break my hart to take away his bird. Are they picky with choosing a mate or can I simply find him any ol purdy gal to quiet him down?

Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much this helps. Yes he is making the sound from the 2nd video. My son loves the bird, but HE (the bird) is too loud for where we live. It would break my hart to take away his bird. Are they picky with choosing a mate or can I simply find him any ol purdy gal to quiet him down?
You will need to find him another Tennessee Red female. You can't just put another type of Bob with him as he will still feel alone and will call all day long. If you do find him a female, he will shut up. LOL It is the female that picks the mates. If he is all that is available, then they will pair up. Where are you located? If you were nearby, I would gladly take him off your hands. Good luck!

Well I have been looking for a tennessee red, and I do not think I will find one :( and I'm very torn. He is my son's lil pet and my boy carries that bird around and loves him. I also feel bad for the bird, he clearly want a mate. I also also feel bad for the people around me who get woken up in the wee hours! Any help finding this lil guy a mate would be helpful, its even been suggested I get him neutered! Seems a little absurd tho.

also, if you were any where near California you could have him, I think my best option is to switch the quail out with a small chicken n see if my son is cool with it.

also, if you were any where near California you could have him, I think my best option is to switch the quail out with a small chicken n see if my son is cool with it.
im in los angeles and if u are close to me I would trade you for the Tennessee quail for one of my small hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom