Tennessee

It is very unnerving when one really thinks about what bugs should be here and are not. I only see about 6 butterflies a year and I have tons of flowering plants to try and draw them in. The more I think about it the more I see that folks around here are a bit poison crazy. Bugs that were here when I was a kid are long gone. There used to be little bugs about the size of lady bugs that were golden in color and shiny. When you would pick them up they would suck their shell down onto your finger and wait it out. I haven't seen one of those in about 30 years. I used to take the children bug hunting at the park and on the trails, never saw any and I was looking since they were fascinating to me as a kid. It used to be when you would walk through the fields your pant legs would have grasshoppers all over them. It is not so now. Even when I did live in the country the grasshopper population was way off. LOL seems odd to be saying I miss the bugs. Some I can surely do without but then they are all part of the ecosystem. I do prefer natural control not chemical. Dogs will certainly have to have the chemical control (Frontline and such).

Coyotes are a worry for me since I know what damage they can do. I had an oops rooster that I gave to a friend with a ranch along with a couple hens. I even made them a small coop. The coyotes demolished the coop and took out a yearling calf while they were there. It could not have been wolves since it was on the plains and we have no wolves here.

I know what you mean about the mountain views. I am 6 miles from the mountains now and lol will be lost without them for a compass.

I am really looking forward to being out of the city and back to reality.

I am sure it depends on where you are but we have never seen a bobcat at our place.  Possum, raccoons, deer, turkeys and coyote are more plentiful.  We let people hunt our property and we request they shot coyote.  They are taking livestock and pets too much here.

The only coyotes ever killed here would be ones eating our stock. Killing coyotes from an area who are not eating your livestock will simply mean that eventually other coyotes will move that habitat - and they just might have a taste for the livestock you have.

We have quite a variety of predators here - probably the hardest for many to control in TN the last few years ate the turkey vultures. A friend in Lebanon TN last approximately 60 newborn lambs to turkey vultures last year. They will take down newborn calves also. Maremma, or other lgd, that have the instinct to protect against flying as well as 4 legged predators are your best bet. Unless you want to keep your animals confined all the time.

The only coyotes ever killed here would be ones eating our stock. Killing coyotes from an area who are not eating your livestock will simply mean that eventually other coyotes will move that habitat - and they just might have a taste for the livestock you have.

We have quite a variety of predators here - probably the hardest for many to control in TN the last few years ate the turkey vultures. A friend in Lebanon TN last approximately 60 newborn lambs to turkey vultures last year. They will take down newborn calves also.

Wow! I've never heard that about the turkey vultures! I wonder if that ever happens here in the mountains as well.

We treat the coyote issue the same way - don't make it too easy for them, don't replace the ones who keep to themselves with new population members who might not. I would love to have an LGD. I've been eyeing a friend's akbash for some time, but I hear on a tiny acreage they're not as happy and will wander.

We had an akbash who was a sweet girl but just not that interested in livestock. She hated to be fenced in with them. Now have 2 great pyrnees/anatolian shepards who love their chickens and protect from things in the air, including airplanes, as well as on the ground. They are content to stay with the chickens and not as hyper as the akbash.

Do people ever coordinate hatchery orders here? I don't really need 25 Murray McMurray birds. I ordered 15 broilers to round it out, but then I realized by the time there's any pasture for them it will be freezer time, so I'm going to change the order. If anyone in the vicinity of Greene County would like to get their order of 15 or less in my order, let me know.

No, 15 is what I still have room for, so that would be the max. I'm ordering my production layers but I only really need 10 or so and I have to order 25 to get them any time soon. I figured if I gave people room to order some I wouldn't have to get so many extra for myself. You can just let me know what you want and I can add it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get at least semi-local guinea eggs and pekin eggs for hatching? I live about an hr from the Alabama border in Wayne county tn.

Thanks in advance to anyone with info. :fl

Does anyone know where I can get at least semi-local guinea eggs and pekin eggs for hatching? I live about an hr from the Alabama border in Wayne county tn.

Thanks in advance to anyone with info. :fl

I have guinea in all kinds of colors. They will not start laying for a few months. I am just north of Nashville.

Back
Top Bottom