Tennessee

Well i just got back from the exotic animal sale in Cookeville, it was something to see. Trust me KCsunshine-YOU DO NOT WANT WATER BUFFALO!! Good Lord, I have never seen anything so mean, the man that owned one of the herds was in the ring when they ran them in, the auctioneer kept telling him to get out and he kept saying they were his animals and would not hurt him, Wrong! The big bull darn near killed him! He was lucky he escaped with just a messed up leg. The poultry went extremly high, especially since winter is coming on. A pair of WCB polish Bantams brought $85. Granted the were fine looking-but $85! I should have taken all of mine. They had a Coronation Sussex Roo and a half Coronation/half light Sussex hen pair, they sold for $320. Big pretty hens were bringing $29 to $30 dollars each. They had a pair of Mountain quail I really wanted but they sold for $110. The most beautiful birds I saw were a mated pair of South African Cranes, I have never seen anything like them before, they sold for $2000. for the pair-and were probably worth it! Needless to say I came home with nothing, but it was worth the trip and I look forward to going again, this time I am taking birds to sell!

Sounds like you had a fine time - probably best that you hung on to your money. I wasn't the one who wanted water buffalo. Biblophile bird mentioned it once and i was kidding her. I wish I had the land to put some larger animals but for now we'll just have to keep our hens and rabbits. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The TN State Fair is running this week.....For those of you have have gone before, is it worth driving out to see the poultry show, or will it be as disappointing as the Wilson County Fair? If the chickens that are being shown there are spectacular, I don't want to miss it, but if not, I'll save the drive!!!

Well I hate to say it but from what I seen at the Tn vally fair were some pretty poor looking birds then again birds are in molt. But there were still people bring birds in. The best looking birds were the modern game bantams, OEG standard and a few cochins... There were some there I would have never put in there. I will be going back monday for the judging just to see the out come....

Last edited:
Yah, too bad the WilCo Fair was so hot this year. There are a lot of great birds in Wilson County, but no one wants to leave their best birds out in that heat for an entire week.
sad.png

The TN State Fair is OK, and there are usually plenty of birds, but again there are quite a few that should not be there. Lots of OEGB, a few non-standard Ameraucana and lots of fluffy exotics like Polish, etc. were there last year.

If I would of knew that the quality of birds were going to look like that I would have put some of mine in. From what I seen mine looked better than what was there.

Last edited:
yeah, unfortunantly the birds didn't have to be at the TN fair until noon yesterday and i went Friday night... the barn was AT LEAST 1/2, probably a little more, empty. and a LOT of them were underwhelming. i reported two (from the same guy) that i thought had eye infections. the guy i reported them to said that they were fine: one had a "wart" on it's eye and one "had been blinded" from being picked on by the other birds. that one really looked infected, but they were just going on the owner's word.

there were a couple of pretty birds, particularly the pair of Toulouse geese. but, on the whole, i was pretty ticked i spent $9 (and it's going to cost me a boatload more cause my car broke down just as i got there... it seriously wasn't my day).

I seen the blind one you were talking about.
rant.gif
It really made me mad to see that he put that bird in as well. The boys asked me what was wrong with it and I told them that it was blind and the owner didn't make a good judgement when he put that bird in... They were pretty sad to see that bird. It made me want to let it free....

Quote:
Well, I know my four won't be there. That fair is the most unorganized event... at least the whole poultry thing. I registered online, supposed to get a email within 48 hours, never did. I had a computer glitch and the page I was supposed to print, sign and send was messed up. Wrote them a email asking "that now?" - never got a responce. THEN! This last thursday I get a letter explaining the health requirements and giving me my exhibitor pass (which I didn't see in the envelope). So at that point I'm thinking, "so I was registered all along?"

Needless to say, I didn't jump through hoops to get the birds washed and up there. Too much hassle as far as I'm concerned. They need to get their act together. Honestly, what's the point of having contact information up if you can't contact them? What's the point of having to print and sign something to send in by a certain date if you get registered anyways? The whole experience makes me wonder "who's in charge?"

Well from
the sound of it I saved myself time.
not going, but had to much going on.

anyone know where I can get some pity eggs
the two golden comets almost 3 weeks old were gotten
too by some critter tore up the cage.I am so upset.
they were 2happy pullets,
I was up till 4 watching and and wating to see if
the thing would come again and Yes...
rifle ready Sorry some may not like my idea.
but for me its the only way.

Back
Top Bottom