Terrified runner ducks

Unfetteron

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
I bought a couple of runner ducks from the local trade day and it has been awful. I also have 7 chicks and 3 Peking ducks. All the animals are around a month old. The runner ducks act terrified of us. They act like we're going to kill them. They've even started making the other ducks and chicks scared of us. I've tried giving them treats holding them everything I can think of. I'm about ready to just give them away.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a couple of runner ducks from the local trade day and it has been awful. I also have 7 chicks and 3 Peking ducks. All the animals are around a month old. The runner ducks act terrified of us. They act like we're going to kill them. They've even started making the other ducks and chicks scared of us. I've tried giving them treats holding them everything I can think of. I'm about ready to just give them away.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
What I did with my Pekin, is I held a handful of food, and didn't mover until they came up, and started getting at it a little. Keep doing this continually, daily, and after they come right up to you, start touching them on the back a little, and do baby steps. Then, start petting them, and after another month of doing this, you'll be able to pick them up, and they'll be fine with it. It takes time, but eventually, if you do this, they will learn to love you. Best to your ducks!

Sounds pretty normal for runner ducks, in my experience.:) The terrified behavior calms down eventually but they are always skittery. My youngest ones, just under a year, now crowd around and follow me when I'm outside and come when I call, but I don't try to handle them. My oldest duck eats from my hand but still doesn't like being handled. Don't give up on your runners. They are really delightful birds.

How long have you had the new ones? It's very normal for them to act fearful if they haven't been handled or interacted with very much. But do try not to take it personally. They are prey animals and it doesn't come naturally for them to be overly friendly.
Being very calm, not chasing, offering a handful of treats when they see you and being very patient will go a long way towards making them more friendly.

How long have you had the new ones? It's very normal for them to act fearful if they haven't been handled or interacted with very much. But do try not to take it personally. They are prey animals and it doesn't come naturally for them to be overly friendly.
Being very calm, not chasing, offering a handful of treats when they see you and being very patient will go a long way towards making them more friendly.
I've had them about 2 weeks now. I'll try a bit longer but they're causing my other birds to be scared of me too

Back
Top Bottom