Terro shaker safety

arachnifarm

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2020
Hi! I have a flock of 18 beautiful hens. I would like to let them out to forage in the yard in the evenings. However, the perimeter of my house and garage has been treated with Terro shaker insecticide. The active ingredient is Lambda cyhalothrin. I am trying to find out how much time needs to pass from the application before i can allow the ladies to roam.

The SDS (safety data sheet) says this:
Ecotoxicity : Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects. And I read where ant bait killed some chickens. Also the SDS sheet says, degradability is "Unknown" as to how long it can last.
It's going to be a risk to let them out if they can go where it's located.

I love insects and spiders. It was treated by my husband due to a very heavy ant infestation on the property. I do not normally use pesticide or herbicide anywhere on my property or house.

That is why i wanted to know if anyone could tell me how long i needed to wait to allow my hens to forage.

I love insects and spiders. It was treated by my husband due to a very heavy ant infestation on the property. I do not normally use pesticide or herbicide anywhere on my property or house.
Bummer....carpenter ants?

That is why i wanted to know if anyone could tell me how long i needed to wait to allow my hens to forage.
Hard to say.

Also the SDS sheet says, degradability is "Unknown" as to how long it can last.
@hayley3 got a link to this?
Or I guess @arachnifarm could google it up.

If you have any old non productive hens or extra roosters use them as test subjects before you risk any chickens you wouldn`t want to lose. Despite what may be written factors that vary widely like type of soil, drainage and rainfall can tend to make your situation different from others.

:welcome :frow I don't know if this will work, but I had some carpenter ants next to our barn and some piss ants, which can be painfull when they bite, between the coops and the barn. I spread some permethrin dust where I saw them. The next day when I checked they weren't there. I don't know if it killed them or encouraged them to move but I looked around and didn't find any more.

Back
Top Bottom