Tethers and Why They Should Never Be Used on Peafowl

Not exactly... While I made that illustration to educate others, I didn't make it for someone to stamp their website address and hash tag onto it. I have my website address on that illustration too, but I put that on there this year so they could have found the old image...

Anyways, here is what it says on their site about how they train their peacocks:
Quote:
In our training programs, keepers’ utilize a bridge, such as a voice cue to tell the animal what they did is right. The bridge, once a meaningless sound, acquires its reinforcing properties through the association with a favored reward. It "bridges" the time between when the correct behavior was performed and when the reward can be delivered.

Also, it looks like the "green peafowl" they use for show are actually high % spaldings, so if they are doing a talk about green peafowl vs. India Blue peafowl, that informative talk isn't so informative if they are using the spaldings as examples of green peafowl. Just sayin' that is my opinion and I am a little annoyed but I guess I should learn to get used to it. I see Texaspeafowl's photos all over the place being used.

The "Aww man..." was the reason I knew you weren't exactly thrilled to have your artwork featured. And BTW, it looks very nice!

Haha yeah I am wondering if Birdrain was being sarcastic.

Here is the original one from my site:

Then the page I have it on:
http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Green Peafowl Vs. India blue.html

It was originally made for one of the magazine pages I did for a 2 year long project in high school. It was a big project called capstone. I made my own peafowl magazine with articles, photos, graphics, ads, etc. It was really fun! So because of all the time I spent with this project that is why I am not so thrilled to see it being used elsewhere, but hey the internet is such a good/bad thing. On one hand it is great that my art can be used for education, on the other hand people can take it without credit, and I don't want to seem selfish or mean (situations like this make me feel that way) but I am proud of my art and want some credit for it.

Haha yeah I am wondering if Birdrain was being sarcastic.

Here is the original one from my site:

Then the page I have it on:
http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Green Peafowl Vs. India blue.html

It was originally made for one of the magazine pages I did for a 2 year long project in high school. It was a big project called capstone. I made my own peafowl magazine with articles, photos, graphics, ads, etc. It was really fun! So because of all the time I spent with this project that is why I am not so thrilled to see it being used elsewhere, but hey the internet is such a good/bad thing. On one hand it is great that my art can be used for education, on the other hand people can take it without credit, and I don't want to seem selfish or mean (situations like this make me feel that way) but I am proud of my art and want some credit for it.

I have no idea...

IMO, you should get the credit for your art. Them crediting it as their own is plagiarism. Maybe you can ask them to credit you for it?

It also makes me wonder how awesome this "#PeacockParty" is.

You know what I forgot about that... I can't remember their name but yes that is a person who travels around doing bird shows with their tame peacocks. I think they have a website or a facebook somewhere. I was amazed when I first found them I don't know how I forgot about that...Awesome stuff. I love how calm the peacocks are.

Edited to say I found their facebook and they are using my illustration of green peafowl vs. India blue peafowl and even put their logo on it... Aww man... https://www.facebook.com/KINGSBIRDS
Without your permission?

-Kathy

Yeah they didn't have my permission I was trying to look them up for Birdrain and I found their facebook then saw my illustration on their facebook. It is all good now though because they apologized had it removed.

Sometimes what I think happens is people hire other people to make graphics for their site. The people they hire don't think or care to credit the images they use for the graphics. It is just a pet peeve of mine especially since in high school and now in college we are constantly being told about how bad plagiarism is. Heck in college just about every year we have to take a quiz on plagiarism. If you are hired to make graphics for someone make them from scratch using your own resources or use sources that are from sites that contain free to use images, etc. Don't be lazy and just use someone else's graphic without credit or permission.

-----------
On another note I have enjoyed emailing them because I was also asking them about how they train their peacocks.
Here is what they said:
Quote:
We do do not train our peachicks on tethers till there mature. We have never had any issues with broken legs this way. My family has been training peafowl for generations and it's a lot faster to train them to go on your hand if there are others doing the same around the bird (kinda like follow the leader) but if you don't have any trained already it takes about 4 hours a day for 6 months to go your hand (greens and sapldings are another story.) We never had any signs of aggression.

With positive reinforcement you can train just about anything.
So it might be safer to tether train when your bird is fully grown. I might try working with Peep to get him to perform some tricks. You all HAVE to check out the video of their peacocks doing tricks. I had no idea you could get peacocks to do so many things!

For Thora I just got her when she was two weeks and would spend an hour spending time with her, petting perching on my finger, feeding watering, and snuggling. She was so cute as a chick but now she is beautiful. Then towards the end of December I got her used to a tether and did tether work every other week but still would pet her everyday. She was awesome at fair. I will post photos of my fair week with Thora.

Ooh I can't wait to see the photos!
When Peep was little I held him a lot more. I was so worried about him growing up to be agressive that as he got bigger I stopped picking him up and getting him to perch on my arm because I was worried that too much interaction could be bad. Now I wish I would have kept on handeling him. I got him on my arm twice today but once he is on my arm he jumps off. Maybe if I quickly give him a treat I can get him to stay.

Also I was a judge for the Parent Poultry Show. A few of us poultry kids had our parents show our birds. I think what would happen would be like my drake Kenia situation. He loves attention and he will even put himself in trouble to get some more attention.

Last edited:
Showmanship I got third but I still got a blue ribbon. In Quality I got Champion for All Other Fowl. I got Grand Champion in Herdsmen ship.

Back
Top Bottom