Tethers and Why They Should Never Be Used on Peafowl

WOW !

0.jpg

Way to go Birdrain!! You looked so professional with the jacket & tie. Looks like Thor a did great!

I hope so! It must be fun being able to judge poultry shows. Usually the judge will have every pen their bird up to show how well the bird reacts to being restrained but since me and the girl with the pigeon had tethers he didn't ask us to pen our birds. Also Thora didn't fight at all. She stayed on my arm until the judge told me to place my bird, he never tried to walk away, though he did keep preening during the entire show. Also with the Herdsmen ship award I got a gift card to D&B and I got three bags full of Doritos, crackers, Fritos, Nerds candy, skittles. It goes to the group that did best in Herdsmen ship in each species, but I was the only Nampa FFA kid showing poultry so all of the rewards I got to myself. The senior class which is what I was in had a duck, 1 standard size chicken, a pigeon, a peacock, and a bantam chicken. That judge had almost every type of bird at fair in my class. Thora I would take out of her pen and perch her on the arm of my chair or on my arm and let kids walk up and pet him. She loved the attention, she never tried to attack anybody. This was my favorite year at fair! It was AMAZING! Thank you for the congratulations!

Well good I am glad Thora did well. :)
It goes to show that peafowl can be comfortable around strangers. If Thora was preening a lot that sounds like she was relaxed. Some peafowl are afraid to preen infront of people because they are vulnerable when they preen since they can't see so well with those feathers in their face.

Thank you guys. I plan on bringing her back, I had people taking photos of me and her, and Thora with their kids. When they would leave I would sometimes hear the mom say, " You can tell your friends at school you went to the fair and brag about how you got to pet a peacock." There was a lady that showed up on show day and she said, "So the rumors are true." I replied with what rumors. She replied, "Everybody that came into my restaurant came talking about a peacock at fair and I had to see if it was true." It made me laugh at first and then I'm like wow Thora is getting lots of fame! The Poultry leader got a photo of me when Thora was on the arm of my chair sleeping and I was sleeping. I told her to email it to me so I got to wait for the photo to post on here. I would have kids right as they walk in, "Mommy, Mommy look at that bird." I would take her out of her pen for 2 or 3 hours and let people pet her.

Last edited:
Wow...sound like you and Thora were the talk of the town!! Way to go!! Can't believe how wonderful Thora was with all the people. All your work paid off!!

Back
Top Bottom