Tetra tint questions

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
So my tetra tints finally started to lay and I’m not sure if my questions are directly related to them laying or not.

1. Do these hens normally eat a lot? Seems like they are always hungry.
2. Does this hybrid cross tend to peck? Mine always peck at my shoes, hands jeans and everything else. Why is this? Are they mean, I don’t think they are, or are they just that hungry to the point that they peck to see if I’ll feed them.
3. Are the eggs usually medium size? They’ve only been laying for a few weeks

What are you feeding them? Do they have access to food 24/7 or do they have specific meal times? If they have meal times, how much food are they getting? Do they free range?

The first few eggs from newbie layers are usually small. Egg size will increase as they get a little older and start laying more frequently.

What are you feeding them? Do they have access to food 24/7 or do they have specific meal times? If they have meal times, how much food are they getting? Do they free range?

The first few eggs from newbie layers are usually small. Egg size will increase as they get a little older and start laying more frequently.
I’m feeding them a seed mixture which I’m not sure what the name of is. I’ll give scratch, every now and then. It’s not 24/7, I’ll put food out once a day but a good portion. They also eat what ever bug they find while they free range

I’m feeding them a seed mixture which I’m not sure what the name of is. I’ll give scratch, every now and then. It’s not 24/7, I’ll put food out once a day but a good portion. They also eat what ever bug they find while they free range
It sounds like they aren't getting enough to eat. @Kiki and @U_Stormcrow are good with feeding instruction and could tell you more.

I’ve always done the same with all of my hens and never had issues, but these two want to eat everything. Could it be that they are new layers?
Possibly. How many other birds do you have? Do you have multiple feeding stations? Other hens may be bullying them from the feeders and they aren't getting enough to eat because of that.

I don't know what a tetra tint is... Is it a chicken?
If so, a seed mixture is not good enough.
Do you live in the United States?

Back
Top Bottom