Tetra tint questions

I was thinking about laying pellets.
What do you think pellets and oysters shells will do?
If you feed a layer type pellet or crumble feed, you don't really need to offer oyster shell on the side but you can.
The reason the feed contains the word layer is because it already has enough calcium in it for a laying bird.

If you were to buy a chick type crumbled feed, then you would need to offer the oyster shell on the side because it does not contain enough calcium for a laying bird.

Whichever feed you buy, make sure that it is a crumbled or pelleted type feed and not a whole grain or mixed seed stuff.

Offering a seed mix or a whole grain mix. Gives the bird an option to pick and choose which seed or grade it wants to eat and it will not get a balanced diet which will cause problems.

I know nothing about Tetra {whatever}, except I thought there are fish called tetras. Kiki and I disagree a bit on feed, but that's good advice above - and cut out the scratch, particularly when there is a queston about feeding. Getting rid of scratch is like removing coke and doritos from the diet. Makes it much easier to focus on what matters, and helps ensure that the birds aren't filling up on junk.

I've not owned birds long enough to be comfortable discussing behaviors, except to say that birds explore the world with their beaks - so as long as it remains non-aggressive, I'd not be concerned. I'm not a "hands on" keeper, so can't speak to how they socialize with humans around - mine see me for feedigns, cullings, twice annual testings, and for two or three time daily egg gatherings. Otherwise, i leave them alone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom