Texas BYC Cafe

Yeah, just those ones at the top. That would be an easy add on though, wouldn't it?
idunno.gif

Lisa :)

I think you can make a better one for the same cost or less. You need a lot more ventilation.

I'm trying to remember and right now my brain is not firing on all cylinders, but I think straw is bad for coop floors. It doesn't break down very fast and the tubes of the straw are good hiding places for mights and other bugs that bother chickens. Hay or pine shavings are better. I'll look when I get back from my bike ride, when my brain is working better. I don't drink coffee to get going in the morning. I'd say maybe I should start but I can't stand the stuff!

I think you can make a better one for the same cost or less. You need a lot more ventilation.

I'm trying to remember and right now my brain is not firing on all cylinders, but I think straw is bad for coop floors. It doesn't break down very fast and the tubes of the straw are good hiding places for mights and other bugs that bother chickens. Hay or pine shavings are better. I'll look when I get back from my bike ride, when my brain is working better. I don't drink coffee to get going in the morning. I'd say maybe I should start but I can't stand the stuff!
Well it may be hay...I'm not sure of the difference without looking at it. Lol.

We don't have the tools or time to build right now.
smile.png

This is our first home that's not an apartment. So we literally have NO tools.
I just want something temporary that will work until we can get something better.

Well it may be hay...I'm not sure of the difference without looking at it. Lol.

We don't have the tools or time to build right now.
smile.png

This is our first home that's not an apartment. So we literally have NO tools.
I just want something temporary that will work until we can get something better.
With added ventilation it will work. :)

I found this in the deep litter thread:
from amenfarm:
Chopped straw is completely different from grass clippings. Straw is an agricultural by-product, the dry stalks of cereal plants, after the grain and chaff have been removed.Due to the risk of impaction and its poor nutrient profile, it should always be restricted to part of the diet for heriboves--chickens should avoid this. It is also hollow and a great place for mites and fleas to live. Chopped grass, Bermuda, Timothy etc. however is great for nutrients, and because it's chopped or mowed and not stalks no impaction problems--my girls think it's wonderful.

With added ventilation it will work. :)

I found this in the deep litter thread:
from amenfarm:
Chopped straw is completely different from grass clippings. Straw is an agricultural by-product, the dry stalks of cereal plants, after the grain and chaff have been removed.Due to the risk of impaction and its poor nutrient profile, it should always be restricted to part of the diet for heriboves--chickens should avoid this. It is also hollow and a great place for mites and fleas to live. Chopped grass, Bermuda, Timothy etc. however is great for nutrients, and because it's chopped or mowed and not stalks no impaction problems--my girls think it's wonderful.

So that's the difference between straw and hay?
Straw is the hollow stalks?
I only had it in the run during winter before they free ranged, and then in their nest boxes they never use.

Hey everyone I know it's been a little while. So much has been going on here but I need to see if y'all know what this might been. My roo has this white stuff on his comb and the other pic is of my Lullabelle he comb is pale and has these spots and she feel like she has lost some weight. But she is eating and drinking and laying. I've given them acv water about once a week and given them some garlic. Could it be due to heat.... Several of the hens combs look pale nit as bright as they once were? Is that due to them starting to lay??

Back
Top Bottom