texas laws

From Farmerpete. I live north of Houston tx. Off hwy 59. I was told that you need To be licenced so the dept. of ag. can make sure that your chickens are desease free prior to being sold. We don't have one of those lic. , but we sell our eggs and sometimes a chicken or two< mostly roosters> at a flea market where we have standing orders we fill. we have24 yellow buff Orphingtons and 24 white leghorns. We get $2.00 a doz. for them and they are fertile. The yellow buff eggs go as soon as we get out of the car, so we aren't at the flea market long. WE DO SET SOME BUFF EGGS BACK FOR US. The eggs we sell pays for the chicken feed and feed for our goats, so we keep our chickens healthy. You should check your City and Co. Ord. regarding chickens.

Quote:
i sell eggs and i don't know of any laws for that but i really haven't checked.

chickens:

processed - you can sell them as long as it is processed by you and below 25,000 a year. it is illegal to sell them if they are processed by someone else even if they have a state processing license. you can, sell them if they are processed by a USDA licensed processor. you can only sell to restaurants if your chicken is processed by a usda processor.

live birds - if you're selling them from your property, you don't need anything. it's easier to sell online and on other places if you have your typhoid certificate (makes you more legit) which is free to get from the tvmdl. it's pretty much the texas "NPIP" since texas doesn't exactly have NPIP from my understanding. i could be wrong. in order to sell off your property, you need to have your flock registered and a form sent into the texas animal health commission with your typhoid certificate. for a flock under 99, it's $25 a year. they WILL come and count your birds. alot of places like the flea market don't care and won't ask for your permit or certificate so you can sell without a permit or certificate.

we'll be having our trade day at arcola next month and we've asked a state rep to be there to check for paperwork, not just fowl, but equine and sheep, etc. if you ever decide to sell at the conroe trade day, the state rep is there also and so you'll need your paperwork and card.

i know the state shows up at canton first mondays and passes out fines to the people selling poultry without their typhoid certificate and registration card.

I have 22 Polish chicks that are growing. I live in the southwest houston area and am wondering if you're allowed to keep chickens in your neighborhood as there is a back field that is behind my home and I happen to hear roos crowing in the distance as there also mobile homes back there as well

Quote:
i sell eggs and i don't know of any laws for that but i really haven't checked.

chickens:

processed - you can sell them as long as it is processed by you and below 25,000 a year. it is illegal to sell them if they are processed by someone else even if they have a state processing license. you can, sell them if they are processed by a USDA licensed processor. you can only sell to restaurants if your chicken is processed by a usda processor.

live birds - if you're selling them from your property, you don't need anything. it's easier to sell online and on other places if you have your typhoid certificate (makes you more legit) which is free to get from the tvmdl. it's pretty much the texas "NPIP" since texas doesn't exactly have NPIP from my understanding. i could be wrong. in order to sell off your property, you need to have your flock registered and a form sent into the texas animal health commission with your typhoid certificate. for a flock under 99, it's $25 a year. they WILL come and count your birds. alot of places like the flea market don't care and won't ask for your permit or certificate so you can sell without a permit or certificate.

we'll be having our trade day at arcola next month and we've asked a state rep to be there to check for paperwork, not just fowl, but equine and sheep, etc. if you ever decide to sell at the conroe trade day, the state rep is there also and so you'll need your paperwork and card.

i know the state shows up at canton first mondays and passes out fines to the people selling poultry without their typhoid certificate and registration card.

What about if I was to say sell chicks to the local feed store? Would the typhoid cert cover me?

Quote:
laws differ as you go from houston to harris county to your subdivision deed restrictions. it's usually the deed restrictions that get you and how tolerant your neighbors are. if they don't like that rooster, they'll make your life miserable.

i live in brazoria county and not in a subdivision so i've never had to deal with any restrictions. it doesn't matter if those people down the way have roosters, if your neighbor doesn't like your roosters, that's where you run into problems.

Quote:
technically, if YOU are taking your birds off your premises and exchanging them and money off your premises (the feedstore), then you need to have your flock registered. if your feedstore is coming to your premises and buying it there, you don't need the registration but your feedstore, in order to resell your birds, will need your typhoid certificate to prove they're clean. what's funny is, the feedstore is considered the owner's premises so he doesn't have to have the registration card to sell poultry from the feedstore and most feedstores buy from hatcheries which are tested and so all they need is that receipt from the hatchery which proves where their birds came from and that they're clean.

since i sell my birds at my friends feedstore, he has my certificate and a copy of my registration card on file.

not everyone follows the rules but that's what you're suppose to do legally.

Only thing I have to add is if you get into game birds you will have to get a license for them. It isn't costly - only $25 per year and you get that through texas parks and wildlife. You must have that to own the birds on your property. Again, this is for game birds such as quail and partridge. Coturnix quail are listed on the TP&W under partridge.

Quote:
i thought that was only if you wanted to release them? i know wild turkeys (not heritage or broad breasted) also falls under this license if you release them on your property. everybody wants your money.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom