Texas

Okay, so something on the car I drive went out, which means no A/C. Yes, for the past 2 months it has been NO FUN, but really not to bad. My drive home is about 20 mins, but little traffic so constant air movement if I leave the windows down. Yes, I still sweat the whole way home, who could not in 100+ temps. Any way, I figured hey if I can deal with this in the summer, I can deal with "no heater" in the "winter".

Well today, I learned a valuable lesson, a car with no A/C or Heater can not blow drying air on a front windshield, when it is raining and humid outside. So I had to drive home in the rain with my windows down so I could see out the front. It got really scary when the rain hit, I rolled up the windows and bam! foggy windows while driving 55 mph on a little 2 lane road. So came home SOAKED, but so happy it rained
wee.gif

Evolution is another subject that is just going to cause an argument. While I believe that things can "evolve" for the better, I do not think we evolved from apes, and believe God created us all. With that being said, this subject is going to cause another huge argument, and probably should be dropped.
The question remains, did you even look at the article? A certain species of moths in England changed color from light to dark in response to the pollution of the industrial revolution and then back to light again when pollution from the turn of the 20th century dropped, in about 100 years.

It happened quickly and was studied.

I would expect that Texas rattle snakes that don't rattle will have an distinct advantage over Texas rattle snakes that do. Ones that rattle will get killed. You suggested that a rattle snakes response to being shot would be to develop a thicker skin. As I said, you don't understand evolution. Dead rattle snakes can't change in response to their environment. And, even that isn't quite correct. It isn't the individual that changes, it is that a certain trait is better at surviving (it is the "fitting-est") in that particular environment. If it has a survival advantage, it will reproduce while the one with the disadvantage will not reproduce as much. The organism doesn't respond to what kills it (since it is dead), it is that others without the trait are more likely to survive and reproduce. Shooting rattle snakes won't get you a thicker skinned rattle snake. It will likely get you one without a rattle.

In the English moth situation, a light colored moth (the normal color) was at a distinct disadvantage as their environment changed from being non polluted, to being coated in grime from the burning of coal. Pollution was awful. The light colored moths were easily seen by predators. That favored the survival of darker colored moths. There was a shift in the population away from light colors to dark colors. Those that were the lightest were not likely to survive to reproduce. Then, when the pollution ended, the dark moths weren't favored (since there had to be a survival advantage to the light colored moth in the first place) and so they reverted back to their light color. All in 100 years. Pretty amazing to see evolution at work in a generation or two, don't you think?

The question remains, did you even look at the article?  A certain species of moths in England changed color from light to dark in response to the pollution of the industrial revolution and then back to light again when pollution from the turn of the 20th century dropped, in about 100 years.

It happened quickly and was studied.

I would expect that Texas rattle snakes that don't rattle will have an distinct advantage over Texas rattle snakes that do.  Ones that rattle will get killed.  You suggested that a rattle snakes response to being shot would be to develop a thicker skin.  As I said, you don't understand evolution.  Dead rattle snakes can't change in response to their environment.   And, even that isn't quite correct.  It isn't the individual that changes, it is that a certain trait is better at surviving (it is the "fitting-est") in that particular environment.  If it has a survival advantage, it will reproduce while the one with the disadvantage will not reproduce as much.  The organism doesn't respond to what kills it (since it is dead), it is that others without the trait are more likely to survive and reproduce.  Shooting rattle snakes won't get you a thicker skinned rattle snake.  It will likely get you one without a rattle.

In the English moth situation, a light colored moth (the normal color) was at a distinct disadvantage as their environment changed from being non polluted, to being coated in grime from the burning of coal.  Pollution was awful.  The light colored moths were easily seen by predators.  That favored the survival of darker colored moths.  There was a shift in the population away from light colors to dark colors.  Those that were the lightest were not likely to survive to reproduce.  Then, when the pollution ended, the dark moths weren't favored (since there had to be a survival advantage to the light colored moth in the first place) and so they reverted back to their light color.  All in 100 years.  Pretty amazing to see evolution at work in a generation or two, don't you think?

Just give it up!!!!

Bee, whose real username here is Beekissed, is a great lady! Just a wonderful person. I think we should vote her "Honorary Texan" for her viewpoints. Cause they are pretty much in line with native Texan viewpoints. Stray dogs, she has a way with dealing with those. Any other varmit that eats or hurts her or her livestock, get a similar treatment. And she allows no one to mess with her, her faith, or her... shall I say livestock? No bleeding heart "I'm offended" stuff there. She agrees or doesn't. Is strong and holds to her beliefs.

Bee has been on the ChickenForum a lot lately. (Me too) She answers a lot a post over there. She is just "Bee" on that site.
She has one of the best attitudes I have ever known of, not just about chickens either.
I have been using FF for 3 weeks now, thanks to Bee and I can tell a difference in their size, egg yolk color and the poop is harder. It is well worth the effort. It also stopped the rodent problem I was having and my feed bill has almost been cut in half. I am also starting the chicks out on it and they seem to be growing faster than usual.

Haven't been on much lately so just want to say hi to all the new folks and welcome to the Texas Thread.

Okay, so something on the car I drive went out, which means no A/C. Yes, for the past 2 months it has been NO FUN, but really not to bad. My drive home is about 20 mins, but little traffic so constant air movement if I leave the windows down. Yes, I still sweat the whole way home, who could not in 100+ temps. Any way, I figured hey if I can deal with this in the summer, I can deal with "no heater" in the "winter".

Well today, I learned a valuable lesson, a car with no A/C or Heater can not blow drying air on a front windshield, when it is raining and humid outside. So I had to drive home in the rain with my windows down so I could see out the front. It got really scary when the rain hit, I rolled up the windows and bam! foggy windows while driving 55 mph on a little 2 lane road. So came home SOAKED, but so happy it rained
wee.gif

Glad you are ok! I have been in that situation and it is scary. I used to have a real clunker in my early twenties and the drivers side window that was being held up with a screw driver fell during a huge downpour on a major highway. Couldn't see a thing and had a mouthful of water. Good times! Glad you got some rain though. We have had no rain just wind that is beating the heck out of my plants. Grrrrrr

We should all go clean our trucks with Q-tips.lol That will make it rain for sure. When Bastrop and stiener ranch was on fire we had other several small one around us to. It was so scary. It seemed like all of Texas was on fire. I had a view from my house of stiener and it looked like a volcano at night.
Don't faint, but we finally got some rain: 1/8"!!! At this point, I will take anything!!

Or we could move Bee to Texas, she is a wealth of information!!!!
Rachael, I am working on her! Some of us on the FF thread think it would be neat to have Bee here for a Country Seminar. Wouldn't that be wild???

Lisa :)

Last edited:
One of my Javas just caught and ate a tarantula
ep.gif
. We have saved so many of them trying to make that trek across the pasture past all our chickens. It was all over to quick to stop it. All the chickens joined in very fast. Will they be o.k.? Poor spider. Not a good way to go.

Don't faint, but we finally got some rain: 1/8"!!! At this point, I will take anything!!

Rachael, I am working on her! Some of us on the FF thread think it would be neat to have Bee here for a Country Seminar. Wouldn't that be wild???

Lisa :)
Fainting now........ must get water........... oh the thirst he he

Quote: you know how sometimes something just doesn't matter to you? or a subject in general is boring? it seems this might be the wrong thread for content that's so in depth....I might be wrong but for myself I log on here to connect with Texans about our places and our animals....tips for healthier flocks etc.....and it may just be me but I think your over thinking what was intended....
now funny chicken stories...pictures of baby chicks or any animal and I think you'll have our attention!
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom