Texas

My five hens are only giving us two eggs a day right now. I thought it was the heat here in Central Texas but now I suspect a snake. My wife thought some might be laying out in the brush around the place so I put an old golf ball in two nests to encourage the hens to lay in the nests. The golf balls were gone this morning.
ep.gif

My five hens are only giving us two eggs a day right now. I thought it was the heat here in Central Texas but now I suspect a snake. My wife thought some might be laying out in the brush around the place so I put an old golf ball in two nests to encourage the hens to lay in the nests. The golf balls were gone this morning.
ep.gif
Bye bye snake!
thumbsup.gif

I have 20 more that need to start laying.  They are 20 weeks old this week and quite a few have nice red waddles and combs but I notice they still scream when the rooster jumps them.

My chickens are different breeds in slightly different age groups. The BRs, RIRs, and SLW are about 25 or 26 weeks old. The BOs are 6 weeks younger and the BAs are a month younger than the BOs. They are all in the same flock though. I 8 month old rooster, and 1 rooster who is 4 months but no spurs, comb, or waddle yet. The 4 month old does have the size, legs, and curved tail however, so may just be a late blooming boy.

Ginger laid her first egg!!!

First egg out of this batch. So exciting!!!!

Also. John and I will be officially tying the knot on Friday. It's been a little crazy here. How's everyone doing?

Howdy to all the newbies!!

I'm north Austin! Just got my coop. Now I've got to figure out the chickens! I'm thinking I want to start with pullets because it seems like it would be one more thing to ask my husband to support--oh, hey, now we need a brooder first. Pretty sure I want Americaunas... My 4yo just wants pretty eggs, really.
thoughts?
comments?
Gladly accepted, all.
Thanks!!

M

Back
Top Bottom